Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125 upgrades

Hello fellow thumpers, This is my 1st thread. Hoping to get some advice on coaxing a little more power out of my ttr 125. I know this has been in many threads before, how to make a ttr keep up with the motocross crowd. what I feel makes it different to me is I'm comparing apples to apples so to speak. I race hare scrambles with my ttr. They hold a thumper class 80-150cc fourstroke aircooled. I'm at a point where I need to be able to get up the hills get down the straights faster. I 'm already considering dropping a tooth in the front sprocket. I was wondering if the big bore kits, airfilter kits and exhaust pipes make enough difference for the money. Also thinking about the frame cradle. 51 more days till Christmas ya know.:busted: Thanks for any and all help.

PS I'm mainly running against the heavier Honda 150f's

Put a 80/85cc MX front end on it (a YZ80 front end bolted right on my TTR), makes a HUGE improvement. Also, the rear shock needs to be tuned. My suspension guy made the rear shock work great.

I find power is not the issue, but the suspension.

Build a stroked big-bore "cheater" motor with a YZ80 carb to even the playing field to run with those Red Bikes.

The frame cradle is a must....

http://www.powroll.com/P_YAMAHA_TTR125.htm

Dropping a tooth in the front will rev you out waay sooner in the straights, but you'll get more torque for the hills.

If you want more speed, go ^ in the front, or down in the rear...

If you want more torque, go down in the front, or ^in the rear...

have you done the airbox mod? pull the screen out and pull the snorkel? because, that's free.. :busted: i think bbr makes a hotcam for it and an cdi upgrade i haven't had expeirience but heard good things about them!

I feel best bang for the buck is: BBR150 kit, pipe, filter kit, XR200 carb or Kitaco VM26 carb. A stroker crank is $440 for 10cc's and a 61mm piston is $325 but only comes with a sleeve. Then you have to have a machine shop releeve your stock cylinder and your case will need machining too, plus it needs race gas and it doesn't come with a cam.All in all, it will be over $1000. But it will be good, no doubt. But the BBR kit will get you where you need to be too. ALso, with Powroll there was a huge thread on them over in the XR100-200 section. They weren't shipping stuff for a while.

Thanks to all who replyed. I definiatly want the power to come on quicker maybe even run a gear higher to get out of the tight turns to get up those hills faster. As itstand I have to use 1st in that situation. I can go 2nd if I have a run at it. I'm hoping the combination of the bbr 150 kit, carb kit, air box mod, and gearing down will give me what I want.

I feel best bang for the buck is... [sNIP]

All in all, it will be over $1000.

The cost of the TTR125 plus that $1k is about the same as I paid for my CRF150RB. How does your hopped up TTR compare to your 150RB, socalxr?

The cost of the TTR125 plus that $1k is about the same as I paid for my CRF150RB. How does your hopped up TTR compare to your 150RB, socalxr?

dude, if he likes the ttr125 and wants to put money into it he can! it might not be the best investment, but he'd have a pretty killer bike, plus the OP didn't ask for bike sugguestions (even though i'd have to agree with you!) he asked what some upgrades are!

Again, I'm not trying to build a motocross killer. I bought it used cause I knew running it through the woods will scuff it up quickly. Plus it's just to have fun racing against a few of my buddies in the thumper class in my area. I like the light weight of the ttr compared to the heavier crf. I can toss it around in the tight areas better. Just a better fit for me. I just need it to produce more power (and for that power to come on quicker) going up hills out of tight turns.Also to get through the cogs faster on the straights.

HAHAHAHAH silly question. Naw just kidding. Yeah it's like dressing up a fat lady in victoria secret clothes. A lot of money spent and in the end she is still fat and looks better with more clothes. It's still a lot rider. My friends who are faster than me that ride my TTR, I can finally beat them on my CRF. They can make TTR's and just about any bike go fast.

Edited by socalxr

HAHAHAHAH silly question. Naw just kidding. Yeah it's like dressing up a fat lady in victoria secret clothes. A lot of money spent and in the end she is still fat and looks better with more clothes. It's still a lot rider. My friends who are faster than me that ride my TTR, I can finally beat them on my CRF. They can make TTR's and and just any any bike go fast.

with one of those things you can just ride it in the dark.

I feel best bang for the buck is: BBR150 kit, pipe, filter kit, XR200 carb or Kitaco VM26 carb. A stroker crank is $440 for 10cc's and a 61mm piston is $325 but only comes with a sleeve. Then you have to have a machine shop releeve your stock cylinder and your case will need machining too, plus it needs race gas and it doesn't come with a cam.All in all, it will be over $1000. But it will be good, no doubt. But the BBR kit will get you where you need to be too. ALso, with Powroll there was a huge thread on them over in the XR100-200 section. They weren't shipping stuff for a while.

I did the full Monty on my wife's TTR 125 - all the BBR goodies, 150cc big bore kit, carb, exhaust, CDI, filter kit, sprockets, BBR aluminum wheels, Baja Designs headlight kit, YZ 85 front end, yz seat, new bars, ASV levers, new bars, etc.

I based it on the build they did in one of the mags - think it was Dirt Rider....anyway, she loved the results!

Always wanting to go faster, she's moved up to a CRF 250x - I had to lower that for her, but it worked out great.

Now, unfortunately that great little "Mini WR" as they called it, is just sitting in the garage. I guess I'll be selling it at some point. I cringe thinking of all the $$ and time I put into that bike.

But she did love it while she rode it. Guess it was all worth it. :busted:

There's a full monty, then there's just stupid. I did stupid:

IMG_0249.JPG

I see what you mean.......and the BBR gas cap to boot!

I think my daughter's truck cost about what you have in that bike!

nice :busted:

There's a full monty, then there's just stupid. I did stupid:

IMG_0249.JPG

Damn, that is really really nice!! :busted:

socalxr, beautiful bike! I would never want to get it dirty. LOL

jmattor, how big of a difference was there in the power and acceleration after the big bore exhaust and carb combo? Also I read where you shouldn't use the CDI box unless, you have the electric start modle (which I don't). Thanks again for all your replies.