Sign in to follow this  

ttr 230 hard to start

Alright, so i have a 07 ttr230 i'm trying to sell. Currently the bike isn't easy to start. It sat in my garage for over a year w/o even being touched, and it ran perfectly fine before i put it away. I did the basics, oil, battery, airfilter, carb, sparkplug, new gas. I did eventually get it to start but, i had to run the battery completely down, the pipe had to be hot before it even considered wanting to start. I only achived this once. When it was started the bike wouldn't idle even with turning the idle up, also it would backfire like crazy, i trightened the pipe to the head and everything so... I've come to the end of the road in my expertise of 4 stoke mechanical work, ideas would be great. :busted:

It sounds like a plugged pilot jet. It's tough to clean one perfectly, so buying a new one is a sure thing.

It sounds like a plugged pilot jet. It's tough to clean one perfectly, so buying a new one is a sure thing.

+1 And while you're at it, go ahead and take the carb off again, and clean it again. And replace the main jet while you're in there. :busted:

you guys think its a jet problem? Because i took that whole carb apart and made sure there was nothing blocked... i used some strong cleaner and compressed air... i dont think that carb could be any cleaner.

The interior of the pilot jet is so small, that the slightest bit of varnish might obstruct it 20%, and it was already too lean to start with.

I'm not saying that it can't be cleaned, it's just really tough to be sure.