Sign in to follow this  

a cool but pricey efi kit

This seems like a retty cool kit ( well almost a complete) 2 stroke efi kit... but their add seems to be lacking some nice info id have to know before i plunk down that kinda Green for that kit.... like rotor wheel and pick-up for ignition adjustments, fuel pump, o2 sensor??

http://www.highgaintuning.com/category_s/59.htm

And here is the most info i could find on there site about its set up..

http://highgaintuning.blogspot.com/

whats everyone think??

anyone... im gonna give them a call monday an get more info...i want efi on my 2 smoke!

sweet thanx! im just waiting for an email back on some specifics .. just gotta get the water pump, pinion seal and maybe bearing if its toasted in my Grilfriend's tahoe done since im off this week from work..... and we finally dropped the Green to get her son a bike an some gear for xmas.. he is 6..so give me a couple months my B-day is coming u soon :busted: :busted:

I do not see how they have the audacity to call it a port injection when it is just a throttle body.

Also, a O2 sensor on a smoker will last about an hour before it becomes oil soaked. The only sensors that are worthwhile are the wide band Lamda ones.

Do more research.

Port Fuel Injection

Definition: A type of fuel injection with at least one injector mounted in the intake port(s) of each cylinder. Usually the injector is mounted on the air intake manifold close to the port. Port fuel injection improves fuel distribution and allows greater flexibility in intake-manifold design, which can contribute to improved engine breathing.

Since you would need one of these units per cylinder, with injection occurring at the manifold, port fuel injection actually seems most appropriate. o2 sensor would only be used for tuning, not for operation.

Do more research.

Still, I question any performance benefit here. I honestly don't think there will be any as compared to a properly tuned carb. 2tmx is installing this unit on a project yz144 for testing. More data should be available soon.

I do not see how they have the audacity to call it a port injection when it is just a throttle body.

Also, a O2 sensor on a smoker will last about an hour before it becomes oil soaked. The only sensors that are worthwhile are the wide band Lamda ones.

Do more research.

O₂ sensors only real function is at cruising speeds and loads at less then full throttle in any case, as they don't react quickly enough to do real time metering at WOT high speed operation. The system generally turns off reference to the sensor under such conditions and uses the rest of the sensor set. But I agree that looking for one to last very long in a two-stroke seems a futile expectation.

On an engine where there is a discrete throttle body for each cylinder, and where the injector is located below the throttle plate, there is no functional difference in whether the nozzle is in the TB or the actual intake port itself. Each cylinder still has its own discrete nozzle as opposed to one nozzle serving multiple cylinders.

Yea the only real answer I got an got back out of 2 emails is I need 60 watts of continuous power output after the kick start... It would be ran off a small Battery tucked away before starting... But to be honest I was kinda turned off by the short "beating it around the bush" kinda answers I did get an too many questions unanswered. So today I seen they did up date the site alil an took off the 125-500cc injection kit so maybe I pissed him off enough to not be offering it anymore...lol... An havnt been really finding any good high output lighting coils to even run this off but the normal 50 watt coils from moose, rcstator, and bans designs have some external coil but Im not sure how that would even work ...:busted:

Port Fuel Injection

Definition: A type of fuel injection with at least one injector mounted in the intake port(s) of each cylinder. Usually the injector is mounted on the air intake manifold close to the port. Port fuel injection improves fuel distribution and allows greater flexibility in intake-manifold design, which can contribute to improved engine breathing.

Since you would need one of these units per cylinder, with injection occurring at the manifold, port fuel injection actually seems most appropriate. o2 sensor would only be used for tuning, not for operation.

Do more research.

Still, I question any performance benefit here. I honestly don't think there will be any as compared to a properly tuned carb. 2tmx is installing this unit on a project yz144 for testing. More data should be available soon.

I sure hope he will share some info on this thread when he has giving it a go. I've noticed a pretty large power gain on a basically stock 350 tbi motor to a stand alone accel fuel and ignition kit I got for my truck an not to mention the ease of tuning was outstanding when I had added bolt ons here and there...

Or leaning it out to get alil better mpg hauling a trailer up north on the hwy

I sure hope he will share some info on this thread when he has giving it a go. I've noticed a pretty large power gain on a basically stock 350 tbi motor to a stand alone accel fuel and ignition kit I got for my truck an not to mention the ease of tuning was outstanding when I had added bolt ons here and there...

Or leaning it out to get alil better mpg hauling a trailer up north on the hwy

youre comparing apple and oranges. a stock 350 tbi will be tuned on the lean side of things for emission and mileage, something close to 14.7:1 A/F, which is not ideal for power production. the aftermarket accell kit is performance oriented, which is something to be gained over the stock efi. a motocross bikes carb is already in an all out performance state of tune, therefore, as far as power gains, there isnt much to be had. i do agree it would so much easier than jet swaps, i like the ease of tunability, but at that price ill keep my brass.

I've noticed a pretty large power gain on a basically stock 350 tbi motor to a stand alone accel fuel and ignition kit I got for my truck

On the factory 4t FI MX bikes after FI was introduced peak HP dropped (at least the first few model years.)

I would be shocked if you got more power.

The manufacturer claims 5% power increase, which is reasonable. I think the primary benefit would be the programmable fuel maps. No more worrying about transition from idle circuit to needle to main. Smoother and more tractable power from a 2t should be easier to achieve with programmable EFI.

It's nice to see innovation and progress in the area of the 2 stroke, and I think this is a step in the right direction.

The manufacturer claims 5% power increase, which is reasonable. I think the primary benefit would be the programmable fuel maps. No more worrying about transition from idle circuit to needle to main. Smoother and more tractable power from a 2t should be easier to achieve with programmable EFI.

It's nice to see innovation and progress in the area of the 2 stroke, and I think this is a step in the right direction.

That's what I was thinking... U would have alot more adjustment over just 3 circuits in the carb set uP.... We will have to wait an see since the person I talked to stopped answering my question after the third email an removed the system I was looking at off their page so idk....

It makes you wonder what they would even send you if you ordered one of the kits...

This is a product that was designed and built for personal use. Offering it out to the public is a brand new thing. It's going to take some time, I'm sure.

The manufacturer claims 5% power increase, which is reasonable.
Taking, say, a YZ125 from 34 to 35.7 HP simply by converting to EFI, changing nothing else? I don't see that as reasonable.

Taking, say, a YZ125 from 34 to 35.7 HP simply by converting to EFI, changing nothing else? I don't see that as reasonable.

I disagree. Hopefully we'll see soon enough.

a yz doesn,t have enough electrical output for this unit.so $1000.00 for there efi throttle body and $???? unknown for a custom stator to run the electrics.

i,ll pass.

He is working on model specific kits for common applications. That's the goal. But he has to develop and test them first, which takes time and money... and a donor bike.

I know he has a Yamaha Banshee/RZ350 kit in the works. He posts plenty on rzrd500.com forums, and I really don't think it's fair to see him as a snake oil salesman at this point. I'm not really all that keen on a complicated direct injection, but would jump all over an EFI kit that worked like the EFI on an Artic Cat sled.