Sign in to follow this  

Next bike for 9 yr old for harescramble?

My son did his first harescramble in October on his ttr 90 and got third place. Now he wants to race more in the spring but he is growing out of his bike. Do I get him a 65 or stay 4 stroke, maybe crf 80? He is 4 ft 6 in 72 lbs with decent skills. I can handle any work as far as top ends so thats not a problem. I am a little nervous about the speed of the 2t. I live near the coal region of Pa so I still want him to be able to ride single track.

The reason I was thinking crf 80 was because the kid that won his class that day was the fastast kid overall and raced 2 classes. So i was thinking that if his bike was more docile he might be able to ride longer at a faster pace before getting tired.

I would think the 65 with no power valve would be very peaky power in MX trim and hard for him to handle in the tight woods. It would take some porting for more low/midrange and smoother power.

My son was on a TTR-125LE for many Hair Scrambles. He placed quite well usually. He had a BBR pipe and ignition mudule on it.

I put my son on a KX 65 at ten ( about the same size as yours) and put a small flywheel weight on for a little while.... He took to it in about two hours of riding.

Thanks for the input so far. He is not tall enough for a ttr 125 yet. I will put him on an 85 at that point. I didn't think of the flywheel weight. Does it make a big differance on the 65? There was only one kid riding a 65 at the race so that leads me to think what Tribalbc said makes sense. Are there any other bikes that you could recomend?

Edited by notty
want to add to it

I am fully aware of the 65 class. But I still want him to be able to ride nasty tight singletrack with rocks and roots. With the peaky power is this doable ? If he was going to ride mx only I woudn't think twice about it, I understand the 65 is a far superior bike. I am just thinking that the biggest hammer isn't the right tool for the job?

Anybody have any experiance with klx 110L? I was on Kawasaki's webpage and this bike has a manual clutch and 29 inch seat ht. This may be it.

Personally I would go the 65 route, even though it needs a bunch of work. It's just such a better package to begin with, lighter, better suspension. Porting, compression, ignition timing, FWW and gearing could set you up with the power delivery you're looking for. It will cost a few hundred bucks more and take a bit of time but would still probably come in under the price of a 4t and be a hell of alot better HS race machine.

I'll be going down this road soon enough with the 65 for my son whos 6. Right now he has the same issues with his KTM 50 SR. He can rip it at the MX track, but it's way snappy in the woods. I retard his timing and richen up his jetting and it helps make it more manageable, but its still a handfull for him in the tighter stuff. I'd like to get a second cylinder for him (they're cheap) ported for woods, but hard to bring myself to it as the porting price is pretty much worth the engine on the bike.

Right now it's easy to do the MX thing with him, but I'd like to get him into woods racing soon.

Seems as this will be an issue right through the 85's. I thought KTM used to have an XC85 but now all I'm seeing is SX's.

Personally I would go the 65 route, even though it needs a bunch of work. It's just such a better package to begin with, lighter, better suspension. Porting, compression, ignition timing, FWW and gearing could set you up with the power delivery you're looking for. It will cost a few hundred bucks more and take a bit of time but would still probably come in under the price of a 4t and be a hell of alot better HS race machine.

I'll be going down this road soon enough with the 65 for my son whos 6. Right now he has the same issues with his KTM 50 SR. He can rip it at the MX track, but it's way snappy in the woods. I retard his timing and richen up his jetting and it helps make it more manageable, but its still a handfull for him in the tighter stuff. I'd like to get a second cylinder for him (they're cheap) ported for woods, but hard to bring myself to it as the porting price is pretty much worth the engine on the bike.

Right now it's easy to do the MX thing with him, but I'd like to get him into woods racing soon.

Seems as this will be an issue right through the 85's. I thought KTM used to have an XC85 but now all I'm seeing is SX's.

personnaly I would also go with the 65 i had one and rcaed it in the woods, I loved it.

i had an 85xc its almost identical to the sx, but with a flywheel weight and a pair of cheap handguards.

Thanks everyone. I am struggling on spending money modifing a bike that he will grow out of in a year, but that may be cheaper than the 110L I will have to look into that. We are not super serious with the racing and work is slow so I don't have lots of money to play with. I believe the kx rm and ktm 85 have power valves, are they more managable in the woods?

Thanks everyone. I am struggling on spending money modifing a bike that he will grow out of in a year, but that may be cheaper than the 110L I will have to look into that. We are not super serious with the racing and work is slow so I don't have lots of money to play with. I believe the kx rm and ktm 85 have power valves, are they more managable in the woods?

my friends and I all had KTM 85/105's we loved them all great allround bikes.

Do you plan on buying new?

If yes, buy used and use the money you save to build it to your liking. Only way I'll do 2 strokes these days, really tho only way I can afford to try and stay racing. I'll tell you one thing, my son won't be riding a 4 stroke untill he or someone else is footing the bill.

If you buy used in the kids market it's not too bad, you basically get what you payed for it back. Just costs maintenance and modifications. If you sell it to someone in your race series you might recover some of the mod money back... Look around, maye you can find one already purpose built.

I think pretty much all the 85's available thee days are power valved, CR's weren't. But it will still need FWW and some motor and suspension mods for the woods. Wait isn't that what I had to do to my bike to :busted:

I guess it never ends :busted:

Thanks Tribalbc I value your input. I have a 2003 RM 250 as well so I read your posts in the Suzuki section. I know about buying used, I check Craigslist for deals every day. I went on Eric Gorrs web page and he gets 125 to port a 65 cylinder so I may go that route. I also want to check into a G2 throttle tube for it. Thanks to everyone here. This has been tougher than deciding which bike I want for myself.

My Daughter started riding a kx 65 when she turned 8, I just put aftermarket thin seat dropped fork tubes and set rear sag. The kx 65 is very lugable, it will take off in first gear with no throttle in first gear, lugs very nice ,we went to Cranbrook b.c and she rode tight single track no problem, out rode her big sister on kx 100 on the trails although 100 was geared for faster mx tracks mind you. I would go 65 all the way. She was 9 this last spring and just keeps getting faster and jumping farther...If your son is aggressive at all I think the crf80 will be in a box in no time saw one this year that the rear shock broke off at the bottom of the shock not very durable,swing arm linkages are all bushings no beaerings... ok for a first bike for a nine or ten tear old but not once they know how to ride, my Daughter that rides the 100 had one for her first bike but she got aggressive and I got rid of it while I could still get something for it... just my 25 cents worth hope it helps.