Cummins 4bt in small pick up

My friends is tuned to about 190hp which at the time of conversion was comparable to the original dodge cummins. His 4 cyl vibrates a lot more than the dodge six and didn't get any better mpg.

it didn't get any better mpg because it has to dump more fuel to push that weight.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your budget is 8,000 I'd look into buying a used pre-2003 Dodge Cummins pick-up.

By the time your said and done, save yourself the aggravation and just find a well looked after 4x4 thats ready to roll down the road.

$8g should be able to find a complete truck and no bugs to work out!

just my $0.02

If your budget is 8,000 I'd look into buying a used pre-2003 Dodge Cummins pick-up.

By the time your said and done, save yourself the aggravation and just find a well looked after 4x4 thats ready to roll down the road.

just my $0.02

ya but I think it would be worth some money and work cause I see it as a good realiable engine with a manual and realiable transmission make the power of a regualr half ton getting twice the mpgs along with the simplicty of a cummins

just my $0.02

This is a good point, however a Cummins in good condition for under 8,000 is sometimes hard to come by...especially if it's 4-wheel-drive.:busted:

This is a good point, however a Cummins in good condition for under 8,000 is sometimes hard to come by...especially if it's 4-wheel-drive.:busted:

You got that right. You can't touch a clean truck of that year like that of any brand for under $10k

I am going to against the grain and so go for it. I think a step van would be your best best bet. Whatever tranny (probably 2wd) find that same brand clean ish 4 wd pickup. swap motors, sell or scrap the van. Sounds like a cool project. Good luck, make sure you get the right gears.

I did the isuzu dieselswapper setup on my 04 1500 silverado. It got 25 mpg. The v8 got 20 and was way faster. Not to mention around here diesel is 60 cents more a gallon. Its a wash. Funny thing was I bought a isuzu npr with the 4bd1t and a bad transmission. I parted everything but the motor out. I rebuilt the motor and a friend stopped by and made me an offer on it I couldn't refuse. I figured I'd just find another one, to this day I still haven't found another npr with the 4bd1t close enough or at a reasonable price. I ended up doing the 4bt, but I think the 4bd1t was a much smoother and better motor. After it was all said and done I ended up with a 4.3l and a syty turbo kit. Still can't break 20mpg with the gas setup but I'm content. Prolly just going to sell it and drive my jetta.

If you're only trying to get 250 ft lbs and 25 mpg, go buy a 302. My 1991 GMC 1/2 ton got 18mpg with a 350, 5 speed and 3.73 gearing and I think it had 300 ftlbs or so, but don't quote me on that. A small gas v8 like a 302 or 305 in an old enough truck to be smog exempt should be good to 250ftlbs and the engine/gearing can probably be tweaked to get 25 mpg. Plus in the winter the fuel isn't going to gel up, and you can buy gas everywhere. If you wanted to say get 750 foot pounds out of one ton dually that's when a diesel wins. There are plenty of trucks that suit you needs already in existence.

If you're only trying to get 250 ft lbs and 25 mpg, go buy a 302. My 1991 GMC 1/2 ton got 18mpg with a 350, 5 speed and 3.73 gearing and I think it had 300 ftlbs or so, but don't quote me on that. A small gas v8 like a 302 or 305 in an old enough truck to be smog exempt should be good to 250ftlbs and the engine/gearing can probably be tweaked to get 25 mpg. Plus in the winter the fuel isn't going to gel up, and you can buy gas everywhere. If you wanted to say get 750 foot pounds out of one ton dually that's when a diesel wins. There are plenty of trucks that suit you needs already in existence.

25 sounds like a little puch for a 302 I suppose its possible but not with your friends set up. 20 sounds like his area. Anyway the cummins is a extremley realiable and powerful engine and im sticking to it. plus I want 4wd and with fords 302 ( 5.4 liter) averagely get no better then 16-17 with 4wd so I dont think the chevy/gmc could be much better

What ever does it for you. If it was me I would take a tbi 5liter from a 1990's chevy, and put it in a mid 80's body with the 5 speed geared for a granny low and put a freeway ratio in back. I'd then cut out all the smog junk. Oh and that truck with the 350 was mine, I got 18 highway if I was careful. My friend had a first gen dodge with a cummins 6cly tubo, it was a beast but it drank fuel.

Edited by tothemax

i have a 06 chevy 4x4 with the 5.3L and get 18-19 on the highway, im sure with some minor work it could get bumped into 20-21. if you can find a nice turbo diesel to fit in a half ton truck i say go for it. it sounds like a sweet project. and i agree with you, try and keep it american.