2006 KLX250s jetting questions--ready to do it!

Some Carb jetting questions on 06 KLX250s

Just a few questions to be sure I'm doing it right.

FMF Q Slip on

KDX 200 Snorkel

13 tooth front sprocket

Dynojet 2260-Actually a Moose kit "same as a DynoJet except it "lacks a plug drill and screw"--The rep at DynoJet says this is the only difference between the DynoJet and Moose kits, the lack or amount of parts. The parts however are the same and quality is also the same .

Now this is where I need some help boys

I ride at an average of 722 above sea level.

Bought a DynoJet 2206 kit----I understand this is for a KDX 300

The Carb is on my bench awaiting me to operate on it. My plans are as follows:

Main jet change to 128

New needle set clip on 3rd groove--not sure on spacers though?? comments??

Drill out side hole on slide

Drill out plug on air/mixture screw----get a T-Handle for easy adjustments while on the bike

pilot jet-stock is 35 -Leave it??? or change to 40

drill out chokejet with a #77 drill bit ".018"--need to be careful the bits break easily

Did I miss anything?? or do something wrong?

Thanks for your help and comments!! I appreciate them!

Thanks and take care

Stash

I would follow the instructions on the kit....which sounds like what you have posted (if I recall the instructions when I followed the kit directions). BUT, I wouldn't drill the enricher circuit unless I was having problems starting it when it was cold. 128 main sounds just right. I didn't have spacers on mine, just put the clip on the needle where the directions said.

Oh...leave the pilot at 35. I put a 40 in mine with no snorkle and a 331 kit...and all it needs is a 35. I'll be going back to 35 next time I take the carb off.

Thanks for the info--much appreciated!

It was cooler last week in the mid 40's. Bike took quite a while to start, but eventually started after several attempts. I understand that by drilling the enricher this ONLY affects when the choke is on, else it is out of the formula when choke is off.

Thanks

Stashu

I understand that by drilling the enricher this ONLY affects when the choke is on, else it is out of the formula when choke is off.

That is correct, but, the correct terminology is enricher, because it doesn't really "choke" the throttle opening.

If your bike is hard to start when it's warm, you may want to enlarge the starter hole rather than the enricher hole. If you're OK when warm, the enricher would be one way to tackle it.

BUT, you may find once you open up the air/fuel screw more (the more open it is, the richer the mixture), your enricher may work just fine.

I know, I know...the bad thing is, you never know until you put it all back together and try it. And this carb is a bit tough to take out and put back on!

Blackheart - what's the difference between the starter hole and the enricher hole? I'm not following....

Blackheart - what's the difference between the starter hole and the enricher hole? I'm not following....

OOH. You're right. The terms do seem to refer to the same thing. What I was thinking is that there is a hole that is simply a constant source of fuel that is uncovered and working when the enricher isn't opened. I was calling that a "starter hole". Then, when the enricher is operated, it opens up a new hole, which adds fuel. So, I was talking about two different openings in the throat.

Since you pointed it out, it occurs to me I could have this very wrong! Maybe there's just one hole (which I'll call the starter hole), and the enricher adds more fuel to this same hole? Wow. Now, I have to go look at an exploded view of the thing!

What I can recall prior to going back to look, is that some people complain of hard-starting when the bike is warm, and there is a fix for that, which is to hand-ream the "starter hole" by a tiny bit. Perhaps that's where I'm getting confused. Mine doesn't have that problem, so, I've never actually worked on this hole. If I fouled it up...Sorry! And, THANKS for the catch!

So, is this "starter hole" the same as a pilot jet? Or are you talking about something else. The pilot jet is the only one I know of that is always feeding fuel.

I reamed the enrichment jet to 0.018" for cold start. It helped.

Also rejetted the pilot to #38 from #35. This also helped on cold start - I could fire the bike right up, often with the choke off, and if the choke was on I could turn it off almost immediately. But it was toooo rich so went back to #35. There are times when the bike is hot that I need to pull the choke lever to get it to start. This would normally be very odd for a flapper style choke, but for the KLX where the "choke" really just feeds extra fuel it, it kinda makes sense. Better yet, it works.

I reamed the enrichment jet to 0.018" for cold start. It helped.

This is what I was referring to...reaming out that enrichment jet. Thanks for pointing this out to the OP! I hope I didn't screw anyone up....

what kind of jets should i be running on my 2007 klx 250s with a two brothers exaust..? i was riding it the other day and my spark plug is getting fludded and so it died....

what kind of jets should i be running on my 2007 klx 250s with a two brothers exaust..? i was riding it the other day and my spark plug is getting fludded and so it died....

That sounds very, very rich. Maybe even so rich that you're having problems besides jetting? What jetting do you have now? And what other airbox, exhaust, and/or other mods that could play a part here? What's your elevation?

Around 1000 feet for elevation. 2 brothers slip on. K&n air filter with a 40 pilot jet and the rest is stock.

You still have the stock 118 Keihin main jet in? That should probably be bumped up, maybe to a 124 or even larger Keihin jet. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that your #40 pilot may be a little big. The stock is #35. I've bumped up to #38 with mods similar to yours, and went back down to #35. Then tried the #38 again with the 351 kit, only to find that I needed to go back to stock #35 again. You should be able to find a "sweet spot" of higher idle with the idle mix screw turned somewhere between 1 and 3 turns out. When I had the larger pilot in, I couldn't find the sweet spot, the idle changed very little with the mix screw adjustment. With the proper pilot jet in my bike, the sweet spot is clearly just a little over 2 turns out.

My elevation is 3000 ft (usually riding up from here), FMFQ4 (was HMF performance), FMF powerbomb, lid off the airbox, twinair foam filter. My main jet is a 124 Dynojet, approximately equivalent to a 132 Keihin.

Edited by IDRIDR

On 11/4/2011 at 10:21 PM, Stashu said:

drill out chokejet with a #77 drill bit ".018"--need to be careful the bits break easily

This happened to me last night.  I can't see any way to retrieve the bit which is lodged in the starter jet hole. 

Time for a new carb or is there another way of getting the broken drill bit out? 

Put it in the freezer for a while that works with bearings that are tight that drop right in cold. Maybe you can fish it out cold.