Sign in to follow this  

broken jaw

had my lower left madible broken this july and 2 plates put in and the wisdom tooth removed in line with the fracture. I had to have the upper plate removed in october as it had become infected. now i'm having discomfort in my jaw when i yawn/sleep on my opposite side to the break, and also have a sensetive tooth. could this be just infection in my tooth or has it spread to the rest of my jaw? i really don't want any more time off work, if it's just the tooth can that wait? getting an appointment at the hospital is tough and does not coincide with my line of work at all.

You probably have inflammation of your TMJ, the joint at the angle of your jaw. It may be a consequence of your injury, or related to any of your surgeries if your mouth was opened for an extended time or beyond its normal range of motion while you were under anesthesia. Try ice packs over the area and something like Advil for a couple of weeks. Call your surgeon and keep them informed.

The tooth may be sensitive because it has a cavity or was chipped. The tooth can also get sensitive simply because you aren't brushing well enough since your injury and the gum is retracting. Have someone look closely at the surface of the tooth for irregularities and start brushing and flossing like your mom told you to.

If your problem was from infection it would not likely present intermittently in your TMJ or tooth, as you describe.

Hey, you're from bloody England. Don't you blokes get FREE health care?