Sign in to follow this  

Florida Moving To Florida...

Hey Floridians! I'm just gathering as much info as possible now so I'm prepared for when the time comes. I'm so sick of Minnesota other than the 3-4 "summer" months. I am honestly looking to move to northern Florida in 2013 or so. I'm currently going to tech school for machining (CNC), and will be graduating December of 2012. My goal is, if I haven't found a good job up here already, have enough saved up to move down fall of '13 (just when it starts getting cold here:smirk:).

I've looked into areas to live, and as of now I really like Gainesville (drag racing) and Jacksonville. I've heard there's certain areas not to live in though; crime and such. There's a lot of questions/research that I'll have, such as: living quarters, where to live, jobs, where to keep my bikes/equipment/other stuff, etc.

As far as riding, I've heard there's quite a few decent tracks, as well as a lot of trails (but relatively flat).

Anyway, feel free to comment, suggest, make fun of...:busted:

Dude-you've really got it all-just need to do some research. There's everything from hills, flat sand, beach, sky-diving, snorkeling, etc... Miami Beach, Tampa, orlando, Key West, Destin, etc... Just depends on what you like.

I have done some research, and there's seems to be a lot to do. I basically would like to know what people think of Gainesville, Jacksonville, or other cities nearby. Just all the little things I should look for/beware of. I'd love to get ya some walleye, but by the time it got there it'd be bad unless I had a private plane...

What type of work do you do?

Family?

How big of an area (population) are you coming from?

I'm going to school for cnc machining right now, but I've just been working on internet marketing lately. Won't be bringing any family, as I recently finished high school. I'm coming from a suburban area. It's just barely on the outskirts of fairly big cities.

You're still adaptable then. Jax or slightly South puts you in good distance from many riding areas. My buddy travels from just South of Jax to Orlando, those are to big populated areas where work is possible.

Gainesville is expensive to live and not a lot of work, college kids working for lower wages everywhere.

You'll probably end up jumping around a couple times and then find something that suits you.

Ok, thanks a lot for the help! Where are you located and how do you like it?

West Central Florida, Brooksville/Weeki Wachee zipcode splits on my road I think. It's pretty good being centrally located, but much better tracks North Fl. South Ga. (clay) mainly sandy stuff around here.

Mainly retirement area around here, Jax or Gainesville much younger crowd and things to do for a younger guy like you.

I'm with an established company running their office in my area. Work is pretty steady now. Not sure with your cnc machining background if you're looking for a manufacturing facility or what.

Ok, gotcha. You said south Jacksonville... I remember reading about the west and east side of the river being different, mainly crime-wise. Know anything about that? Something on the SW side of the city would be nice, as I'd prefer to be relatively close to Gainesville (drag strip).

As far as machining, I honestly don't know exactly what I want yet. I'd like something with decent pay to start out and be interesting work (not boring and doing the same thing every day).

My sister lives off Butler & Hodges near Jax beach, it is a nice area away from the crime. Spent many years at Gainesville dragstrip, worked for a chassis builder in the winter when construction slowed down. Many chassis shops have cnc machines to help in fabrication of the cars components.

I just picture cnc machining as production work spitting out the same parts, where it's cheaper than man hours hand making (save money).

Good Luck.

Ocala is really nice and centrally located, some nice tracks real close and the don garlits muesuem. its about an hour to orlando, tampa and gainesville.

i live in st pete. its nice close to beach and water, lots of stuff to do. but an hour drive to anywhere to ride besides sunshine motocross :/ if i was to move it would be to ocala or clermont. both are really nice for me.