Sign in to follow this  

BeSt SoFt TeRrAiN TiReS eVeR....!!

i just wanted to say that with ony a small contact patch from 2 wheels... tire selection is SUPER CRITICAL

suspension...chassis...engine....all of it uses only the small contact patch of your tire to make contact with the planet.... if that patch aint hooking up, none of the rest matters...

i have ridden off road michigan my whole life on dirt bikes.... soft terrain and sand is most of it....

and i have tested soooo many tires....

sort terrain tires work better on hard than hard terrains work in the loose....and most of michigan is soft terrain anyways... so i dont care a bit for hard terrain tires except for my street bike

anyways.... when front tires have lateral rows of knobs, one knob seems to only block the next from getting a good bite.... they HAVE to be staggered to get lateral grip for turning..!! when the center knobs are split the tire resists slipping to either side on rock, logs, anything.... even when its straight up...

then since the knob rows are staggered.... there isn't a knob blocking another knobs bite as the lean angle increases.... each knob gets its own shot at digging in...

sooooo

BEST FRONT all around off road dirt bike tire OF ALL TIME:

BRIDGESTONE M59.....!!!!

i have tested and found quite a few rear tires that work well... so i would have to sort through them to pick a clear winner.... but for the front, the choice was easy.....

worst front tire i have ever run was a front version of a dunlop 752...

the 752 worked great on the back for lots of soft to intermediate terrain.... rows of knobs that act like semi-paddles ....

the front version had all the lateral grip of ring baloney.... great for eye stretching exercises when you are trying to turn in the woods....!!

lets hear other tire test evaluations

Have you tried this one? better than the Bridgestone M59 IMO. My main complaint is the 59 is very round and narrow so it doesn't transition over to hard ground as well as the Pirelli.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/391/9891/ITEM/Pirelli-MXMS-Front-Tire.aspx

The rear is darn good too. all they use in Euro GP mx in all terrain.... for years and many championships.

455 You are right on the money brother! My fav tires as well thats all i use. Have used dunlop 742fa, mx31s,51s, bridgestone 403/404 m59, kendas, I absolutely love the pirelli mxms front and rear. They work good everywhere, and the size knobs on the front are twisted to really bite in. And i agree how crucial tires are mixxer. Great post. Most people have worn out tires but will opt for that fblingy exhaust system.

Pirelli also gives out tire sponsorships. I get mine to canada for 60 a pop.

Have you tried this one? better than the Bridgestone M59 IMO. My main complaint is the 59 is very round and narrow so it doesn't transition over to hard ground as well as the Pirelli.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/391/9891/ITEM/Pirelli-MXMS-Front-Tire.aspx

The rear is darn good too. all they use in Euro GP mx in all terrain.... for years and many championships.

i will check out the pirellis for sure....!

there is one rear pirelli that looka sort of paddle like that would kill in soft terratin acceleration....but i havent tried is because i dont know how it would be for turning / side grip....

funny about the bling high $$$ exhaust and running on worn out meats :busted:

looked at the pirelli front... similar pattern to the m59...staggered alternating pattern for knobs

i looked up the rear pirelli...

thats the rear paddle like one i was talking about...

ok guys...dont hold back now.... how is lateral traction on soft terrain with that tire??

i really want to try one since i KNOW loose terrain straight line acceleration would be superb with that pattern....

Michellin S12

seriously best soft terrain tire i've ever used. Front and rear. It probably has lasted 2x as long as any other soft tire i've used and still has plenty of life. I can't get over how much I love this piece or rubber

Michellin S12

seriously best soft terrain tire i've ever used. Front and rear. It probably has lasted 2x as long as any other soft tire i've used and still has plenty of life. I can't get over how much I love this piece or rubber

this rear tire lasted me 6 motos till the knobs started to chuck and rip off, would never buy again.

this rear tire lasted me 6 motos till the knobs started to chuck and rip off, would never buy again.

I've read reviews about this happening to others, but I have to say mine have lasted about 13 motos. and its still in great shape, and no chunking. love it, best tire I've ever used.

I ride florida soft sand only and its perfect

in my riding group there is one of us who used the michelin s12 soft terrain tires.... again, similar pattern to the others mentioned here.... in soft sandy stuff they are great, but they do chunk whole knobs off in rocky terrain...

michelins new ads state more durable compond now, but we havent tried any new ones since

After reading this thread I ordered a set of the Pirelli MXMS tires. I used the Bridgestone 403/404 last year and I was not impressed with the front at all.

Good call that front 403 is the WORST tire on the planet. After all the rave reviews especially mxa i fired one on. I rode it for 4 laps and gave it away. MXA said it was way better than the stock 742FA. The 742 isnt the best tire but its way better than the 403. Good choice on the mxms tires. I honestly cant rave enough about that front tire. I love it. Im a pirelli guy hands down after using their products last season wow!

I was running bridestone 403/404 but I think its now time to switch! I was never confident in the front end holding when pushed hard.

MXA said it was way better than the stock 742FA. The 742 isnt the best tire but its way better than the 403. !

I agree, I never thought the FA was anywhere near as bad as MXA claims.

I'll take an FA over the MX 51 or the Bridgestone.

best front I've ever used is the S12XC, I tore knobs off the regular S12

I have a set of metzler 6 days extremes on my gasgas, and they work really good in the sand here in north carolina, the rear will probably scare you if your on a ktm, it wants to slide on high speed sweepers under WOT conditions, not a problem on the gasgas

I agree, I never thought the FA was anywhere near as bad as MXA claims.

I'll take an FA over the MX 51 or the Bridgestone.

I find you really have to take MXAs info and bike tests with a grain of salt. Althought they have some great technical articles. Man some of their reviews are backasswards. Not that im some superstar, But a lot of the bikes they say suck i really like, ie the 2011 crf250. I liked it best. and the 2012 450 is the bomb. i think it got near last lol.

I have had the 403 on the front of my last 4 bikes, i've always liked it pretty well i guess, really havent tried another to compare it too...but if the Pirelli front tires work anywhere near as good as the rears then im sure id like it

BTW, just did my last race on my Pirelli Mxmh this weekend as it finally lost a large amount of performance...at 29 hours of mx! needless to say i was satisfied with its durability

Mxms is next in line

I was running bridestone 403/404 but I think its now time to switch! I was never confident in the front end holding when pushed hard.

not kidding at all.... tested tires my whole life.... never finish wearing one out before trying something new....

until the bridgestone m59 front..... never ever found a condition or surface that it doesn't grip on.... the worse the conditions.... the more dramatic how stellar this tire is.... it was first...but it has spawned a TON of copycats

best front I've ever used is the S12XC, I tore knobs off the regular S12

I have a set of metzler 6 days extremes on my gasgas, and they work really good in the sand here in north carolina, the rear will probably scare you if your on a ktm, it wants to slide on high speed sweepers under WOT conditions, not a problem on the gasgas

xc compound must be addressing some of the soft/chunking issues with s12... which is great....

one of my friends said of the s12:

"it sticks to the rocks better than it sticks to itself"

lol