Sign in to follow this  

New BMW 650

Has anyone test rode or seen the new 2012 BMW 650 enduro? Curious to see some feed back.

The old Dakar with BNG, nice bikes if you fit the niche. My friend had the dakar and it's strong points were great gas milage and a heavy frame and subframe that could take round the world luggage. Weak points was the weight and how expensive parts were and complex it was to work on.

I've been looking around on line and it seems to be very similar to the Dakar. Looks a little better, better windscreen, and more modern display. I have a DRZ400. My Friend can keep up with me on trails with his gs650, but he is a better rider. Just shows you what these bikes can do. I should note though, when he drops his bike, he sometimes needs help picking it up. I'm thinking of this bike the 800 is just to big for some of the places I get lost in, and if I can do 500 miles/day on a drz, I should be able to do it a lot more comfortably on any GS.

Eh... BMW won't do anything major outside of Husky Methinks. Still a good looking bike, and I'm sure it's built well.

banjobart, since you're in Michigan, I'm willing to reveal that there is, indeed, a Sertao on the floor at Gina's BMW in Iowa City. I plan on driving down when the weather clears up for a look, but it looks from the pictures to be a pretty sweet set up. I'm currently riding a DR-Z400SM, and I love the weight and profile of my DRZ, so the Sertao is the closest I've seen to keeping these virtues without becoming a porker. Still, 427 lbs wet is a hundred pounds up on the DRZ, and I have USD adjustable forks and a BIG stonkin' disc up front that I'm not certain I want to give up.

Has anyone test rode or seen the new 2012 BMW 650 enduro? Curious to see some feed back.

I have put about 18,000 miles on my Sertao. Did the Utah Back country discovery route on it last July. My daughter and I have done a couple of organized dual sport rides on it two up. Nice bike, heavy but not not like a GS1200 or Gs800. The Sertao has a strong enough sub frame to allow to load it up with all your gear or a passenger.  I still ride my KTM EXC 520 when I want a fast, fun light bike for dual sporting. But you can carry all your stuff on a light weight bike.