Sign in to follow this  

Idaho TODAY!!! BLM at Big Willow taking comments

In case you weren't aware of this, get out there and participate. See you there. :busted:

http://www.blm.gov/id/st/en/info/newsroom/2011/october/public_invited_to.html

BOISE – On November 5, 2011, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is inviting the interested public, including recreationists, both motorized and non-motorized, to participate in identifying roads and trails previously used on public lands located north of Big Willow Creek in Payette County.

In May 2011, BLM temporarily closed 37 miles of roads and trails to motorized off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreational travel near Big Willow Creek Area, located in Payette County. The purpose of the closure was due to the presence of Packard’s milkvetch, a recently listed candidate species for protection under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). The closure affected approximately 7,100 acres northwest of Emmett, Idaho, which the BLM administers.

Two public meetings, hosted by BLM in June, in Payette and Emmett, were held to discuss the purpose of the temporary closure. Many of those who attended the public meetings were OHV recreationists who offered to help the BLM identify the roads and trails they used in the Big Willow Creek area.

BLM has identified November 5, as the day the interested public can participate in this mapping effort. Those with geographical positioning system (GPS) units are encouraged to bring them. However, they are not needed in order to participate. Maps of the area will be available for identifying roads and trails. They will later be added to the Bureau’s computerized Geographical Information System. Meet on the North side of Big Willow Creek Road about 2 miles east of the intersection with Stone Quarry Gulch. BLM staff will be on-site from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

“Identification of roads and trails previously used by recreationists is an important part of our development of a long-term plan for preserving Packard’s milkvetch and its habitat, and for managing future motorized and non-motorized recreational activities in this area,” said Terry Humphrey, Field Manager of the BLM Four Rivers Field Office.

Here is an e-mail I got on the next step for Big Willow.

Two public meetings will be held during the comment period in Emmett and Payette to solicit additional input. The comment period will close on May 25, 2012. You can email comments to BLM_ID_FRFO_OHV@blm.gov

Here is the link to the ePlanning page https://www.blm.gov/...epa_register.do

This link should take you to the document page https://www.blm.gov/epl-front-office/eplanning/planAndProjectSite.do?methodName=dispatchToPatternPage&currentPageId=31003

The document title is Big Willow Management Plan Scoping Information Document. To see the maps you will need to click on the “Maps” link on the left side of the page.

I will send a hard copy also.

Larry Ridenhour

BLM – Four Rivers Field Office

3948 Development Ave.

Boise, Idaho 83705

208-863-5596 (cell)

208-384-3300 (office)

Edited by trailrider383

It works for me but if you can't get it to work send me a PM with your email and I'll forward you the emails. Then you can figure out how to post up the links here so they work.

Edited by trailrider383

Links work for me now, might have been their server was down or maybe I couldn't access it from work.

To protect a weed? Really? I never understand how they can justify closing thousands of acres of land because a few trails randomly lace through it that cover .00000000001% of the land in question.

Thank you for your involvement, and for getting the word out.

just got news from a friend that big willow is opened back up to riding, they are not making this public and keeping all the motorized signs still up to try to keep the number of people going out there down, went riding out there last week, man so many memories came back, such a great place to ride!

• Like 1

SORRY , If the signs are up , then its STILL CLOSED ,  PERIOD !! , they dont "keep it a secret" , if it says closed , then its CLOSED  , if anyone tells you different they are full of it   , i will just keep driving all the way to Hemingway Butte and avoid the ticket for riding on CLOSED land , much better riding at Hemingway  than ever was at Big Willow anyway ,, there were only a few cool draws to ride up and down anyway , the rest was trash filled along with all the way too many head-ons that happened there way too often, which is why i quit riding there long before it was closed down after a head-on dislocated shoulder ,  and there is thousands more acre's of land in the Owyhee's and trails to ride without all the trash and crazies that ruined Willow and got it closed in the first place , yea its farther to go if you live in this end of the valley , but its safer , and legal ! , i'll take the 80+ mile each way drive and not get a ticket , over taking a chance on someone said its ok but secret BS , any day !

I am calling BS on your "friend's" story , sorry !  , it was a fun place a long time ago , but its gone and wont be back , and its not because of a weed  , its because of all the trash and people burning the land owners fence posts in bonfires and shooting his cattle and the deer out of season  , is why its really closed   , that is a fact , and that is not a secret !

Edited by 450XJimDirt