Sign in to follow this  

when to change a piston on an rm 250

06 rm 250, i bought it used this summer and rode it for maybe 15 hours, when would be the best time to buy a new piston? btw its trail ridden

How many hours did the previous owner put on the bike ???

I have an 05 250...got it used with 20 hours on it.......looked up the exhaust side and reed cage side of the cylinder....everything looked good..........I rode it for a few months...then over the summer ...changed out the rings....and rode it for another season. No damage done.

Same with a 05 125 , I picked up a year ago..........but I put in new rings from the start...because it was rode a lot harder.........and still was all stock.

Rode it with just the new rings until the summer break........then put in new piston.......no damage done.

Use your own judgement , use the owners manual for maintenance intervals , or whatever , just have fun.

I was at a race ...about 4 weeks ago..........where there was an 04,an 05 and an 06 250having fun . So with a little TLC....these bikes last a while !!!!

a lot depends on your driving skills

i do 30 hours, then change rings

and do 30 hours again

so every 60 hours a new piston

in my first years of riding i think i did a lot more hours on the piston

now i ride it quite hard and a lot of sand tracks

piston comes out decent after 60 hours, sure wouldnt keep it in there longer now