Sign in to follow this  

Need a new pipe

Currently running the pro circuit works pipe, but to me it feels like a mid/top end pipe. I'm looking for a bottom/mid pipe if possible. Would prefer to stay with pro circuit if possible, nothing against FMF just prefer PC. So my question is which PC pipe is for bottom/mid increase? The platinum 1 or platinum 2? I'm running the PC 304 shorty FYI.

Thanks for help/opinions.

Will also add, that my works pipe has a few dents and I'm going to send it to Pacific crest to repair it and keep it as a back up. The works finish looks nice but a pain in the :busted: to maintain.

Rode with stock pipe today, kept the PC 304 shorty on it and I think the bike hits harder with it than the PC works pipe.

Stock is more of a high-rev pipe than PC Works IMO. Go PC2 or Gnarly w/Shorty. Got a Gnarly/Shorty on the 97 and it works as advertised.

I have to go with "Al" on this one.....I went to a Gnarly/Turbine core on my 99 from stock. BIG difference! It does work as advertized. Great pull from off idle to top, the big pull is in the midrange...long and smooth power. Made my bike very "trackable".:busted:

I put an FMF Fatty just with the stock Silencer on my 06 RM 250. I loved it! It started adding power in the middle of the low end and was smooth all the way through consistently making a bigger power gain as the rpm's increased with a sh!7 ton more top end and a way higher over rev! It felt like it gained HP till it revved out!

Currently running the pro circuit works pipe, but to me it feels like a mid/top end pipe. I'm looking for a bottom/mid pipe if possible. Would prefer to stay with pro circuit if possible, nothing against FMF just prefer PC. So my question is which PC pipe is for bottom/mid increase? The platinum 1 or platinum 2? I'm running the PC 304 shorty FYI.

Thanks for help/opinions.

Will also add, that my works pipe has a few dents and I'm going to send it to Pacific crest to repair it and keep it as a back up. The works finish looks nice but a pain in the :busted: to maintain.

Platinum 1 and works are the same, just different finish's. Plat 2 is supposed to be more bottom end (SX) but when I called PC and talked to them they told me it was the same as Plat 1, only thicker guage steel on the pipe.

So for bottom end you're left with the Gnarly or you could try these

http://www.mxbonz.com/powrplate.htm

I use both the spacers for 5mm on the PC or stock pipe and it comes on the pipe much sooner.

I even run a 3mm spacer with my Gnarly, makes it come on pipe at the bottom rather than be torquey, smooths the mid hit, and gives a little more top. Sort of broadens and smooths the power.

For $20 you really can't beat them, simple way to play with tune.

How is the topend after using those spacers?

I'm trying to get a little more topend out of my 2007 RM250. I would be fine giving up hit for longer powerband.

+1 for the pipe spacers. Even installing 3-4 additional exhaust gaskets provides a noticable difference, with any pipe. You may run into the pipes o-rings protuding slightly from the exhaust manifold though... RTV. It's a real good trick for getting more low-end out of a 125 too.

How is the topend after using those spacers?

I'm trying to get a little more topend out of my 2007 RM250. I would be fine giving up hit for longer powerband.

On a stock or PC pipe I didn't notice much at the top. It definately gave the Gnarly more on top though.

Every pipe is different but for the $20 it's worth experimenting. I have found an improvement on every pipe I've use them on. You get a 2mm and 3mm spacer so you can go for 2,3 or 5mm of spacer.

And RTV is a good tip. I use it both around my pipe and between the spacers, pipe and cylinder.

Thanks I think I'll give it a try. Right now I have a PC works with silencer (not shorty), vforce, 8oz flywheel weight.

I've got several vintage RM's too so I'm well versed in RTV, haha.

Contacted MXBonz, nothing for RM250. Not sure if they will make them in the future, when I sent a question asking if they had them for RM250 their response was simply "Sorry, I don't."

For what it's worth, I did some small jetting tweaks at the track today, got the bike running really clean all through the power band. I think I'm fine with it the way it is.....now I just need to get the suspension dialed --- I took all the Race Tech valving out of my RMZ450 and put it in the 250 and it's way too harsh in the early part of the stroke.

Contacted MXBonz, nothing for RM250. Not sure if they will make them in the future, when I sent a question asking if they had them for RM250 their response was simply "Sorry, I don't."

For what it's worth, I did some small jetting tweaks at the track today, got the bike running really clean all through the power band. I think I'm fine with it the way it is.....now I just need to get the suspension dialed --- I took all the Race Tech valving out of my RMZ450 and put it in the 250 and it's way too harsh in the early part of the stroke.

That sucks. Seems alot of companys are dropping off there products for the RM250. Going to be caught with there pants down when Suzuki rereleases the RM250 this year.