New 2011 WR250F in garage !

Well guys this is my 1st new bike I have bought in many years and also the first 4 stroke dirt bike too , so me and this machine have to get use to each other.

I have been riding KDX 220's for the past several years and even built a couple 03 KX Hybrid machines (which are great bikes) but having to modify alot of things just to get close to whats on the market was starting to get old.

After riding this new bike I can see how far suspension has came from what I had on my 03 Hybrid compaired to this model ,granted I haven't really dogged this new one yet (still breaking it in) but feels like it's alot smoother than the KX suspension . I still need to get my sag set as it is a little taller than my Hybrid, of course this might settle some after more time..

After reading post made here I knew about the air box and got the GYTR kit to fix that little problem and started to get a complete exhaust system but for some reason Yamaha's GYTR section doesn't give a header for a 2011 model,

(anyone know why ?), parts guy said he would make some calls and get back to me, said the 10 model should work but wanted to be sure. Also the plastic skid plate will get replaced and i'll check out the gray wire mod after I get some more time on the bike...

Soooo if anyone has any info about these 2011 models, tips or things to watch for i'd be glad to hear as this is a whole new type ride for me.

OH, BTW...my last new, off the showroom floor dirt bike was a 1978 YZ 250.

Thanks....T Hill

Congrats on the new bike. I just traded my 2008 WR250F in on a new 2011 YZ250F. The WR250F is the same for 2007-2012. It is a great bike. I put a header and slip-on pipe on my 2008 WR250F when I had it, and I used a header and pipe made for a YZ250F of the same year. I think the newer 2010-2012 YZ250F header and pipe is different and may not fit.

Thanks guys..

Swede73,the GYTR air box lid remove kit has the YZ throttle stop in it so that forsure will be taken care of...when i install this kit i am going to do the gray wire deal at the same time but i think im going to run it to a switch.....

HwyChile, Got a GYTR skid plate and a silencer coming, i'll wait around for the header pipe...Just don't understand why Yamaha doesn't show one for a 11 model yet.....

The header pipe is the same for 2007-2012, and I would use the YZ250F header pipe instead of the WR250F header pipe (the YZ is bigger and flows better).

I just got a new Yoshimura RS-4 slip on for my new 2011 YZ250F (UPS just delivered it about an hour ago) because I needed the spark arrestor for the woods and did not want to retrofit the original YZ exhaust with a spark arrestor. I cannot wait to put it on.

You will love your new bike. It is a great bike.

I am originally from the Nashville area. I live in TX now.

You are doing all the right things to your bike. The bike runs better with an aftermarket exhaust (the WR exhaust is very restrictive even with the pea sized plug removed). I would put an hour meter on it too if I were you. You also may want to invest in some radiator braces in case you fall so you don't damage those expensive radiators.

Those KDX220 and hybrids are sweet machines! I like the KX125/KDX200 setups.

This is my first Yamaha trail bike,all the other Yamaha's i've owned were racing bikes, YZ 125 and 250 2 strokes...All my trail bikes have been Kaw's ,and yes the Hybrid bikes is nice and I say I will keep this last one I just built, just need to get my front wheel spaced out right with my forks.....Still got 1 KDX to put back together and a Hybrid rolling frame I need to sell......