Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha Anyone with a yfz450 with a carb

I bought a carb from a yfz450 and put it on my DRZ400 motorcycle. Modification is required, but its a great carb. When I pull the choke out it snaps back in as soon as I hit the starter. Kind of annoying on these 30 degree mornings. Is this a common problem and is there a way to fix or adjust the mechanism?

Picture092.jpg

I bought a carb from a yfz450 and put it on my DRZ400 motorcycle. Modification is required, but its a great carb. When I pull the choke out it snaps back in as soon as I hit the starter. Kind of annoying on these 30 degree mornings. Is this a common problem and is there a way to fix or adjust the mechanism?

Picture092.jpg

I had this problem with my 2005 yfz.... I now have a 2007 with no issues.

I had this problem with my 2005 yfz.... I now have a 2007 with no issues.

Thats cheating:bonk:, I can live with this problem if it means buying a bike with EFI.

07 has carb

opps:bonk:. So is there a to fix this problem without replacing the carb? Anyone.

There should be a small bearing ball in the choke that holds it in place. It is probably stuck and is not allowing it to catch. The only way to fix it is to pull it apart and clean it out. Use carb cleaner and a small screw driver to loosen it when the area is exposed. The choke should screw into the side and will be easy to clean.

View this parts catalog (page 20). Its for a 2007 YFZ450 but it is the same principle.

Thanks for the help. I just replaced my timing chain and am waiting for one more part. I don't want to start anything new untill I know I have this problem solved. This is the info I was looking for. I will make sure to take pictures and give an update on my future success.

If it's the knob you are talking about, then it's a common problem even with the yz250f and yz450f. Just tighten a zip tie around the rubber piece in front of the knob like so:

Thanks, I'm going to try that until I have time to try Frederick0801 solution. It's kind of cold out right now and I'm doing some house remodeling so it's a nice quick solution for now.