Sign in to follow this  

Advice on a light weight, big bore dualsport.

Hello all, I just sold my 2000 drz400e that was converted for dual sport use, I found it to be a bit heavy for tight woods and a bit underpowered for my taste. I rode a 2006 rmz450 which I know is not a road legal bike and never will be, but the amount of power was mesmerizing. My question is, what bikes could give me rmz450 like power, with the lowest weight possible, and still be street legal, cost not being an issue. Most of my riding is trail riding but I need a bike I can travel the fire-roads with and also be able to do quick highway runs for periods less than twenty minutes.

All input is appreciated thank you.

Manufacturer's claimed weight (no fuel): 252 pounds

Actual weight (full tank): 276 pounds

For an excellent write-up, look on-line for the review by Jimmy Lewis in the March 2001 issue of Dirt Rider.

Other options include: '05-'12 Beta 525/520 RS or '07-'12 KTM 525/530/500 EXC. These bikes, along with the Berg FE570, are very strong and much lighter than the DRZ400e plus they all have wide ratio 6 speed trannies.

Edited by Chas_M

get another street legal dirtbike so you can ride to stores and work etc.and save the environment -instead of driving a 5000lb truck all over the place -if this bike wont do it for you [like a ktm 450- 530exc etc] buy a single track racebike like a 300 and drive it to your riding area in your truck..there is no way around this dilemma as they dont make big bore dualsports that are lightweight in singletrack .so you have to compromise, you usually have to get the best bike you can get and afford and mod it to your style of riding ,but the exc or husaberg or husky etc. would be closest right now to what your looking for...

I have been doing some looking at the KTM's, Husaberg's, Etc. I am very interested in the new KTM 500 exc. Any thoughts?

Edited by Jason_Land

get another street legal dirtbike so you can ride to stores and work etc.and save the environment -instead of driving a 5000lb truck all over the place -if this bike wont do it for you [like a ktm 450- 530exc etc] buy a single track racebike like a 300 and drive it to your riding area in your truck..there is no way around this dilemma as they dont make big bore dualsports that are lightweight in singletrack .so you have to compromise, you usually have to get the best bike you can get and afford and mod it to your style of riding ,but the exc or husaberg or husky etc. would be closest right now to what your looking for...

pretty sure he said he wants a street legal dirtbike....pretty sure bikes arent going to "save the enviroment" most bike arent really that great on fuel, and without emission they put out a lot of sh*t you should start reading peoples posts and questions rather than trolling around posting random bs.

To the OP any of the suggestions so far would be great ktm beta, husaberg etc. Ktm 450 being the most like the rmz you rode. Not sure of the laws in washington, but Ktm street legal two strokes would be a great lightweight option as well. I would say go with the brand that you have a local dealer for.

I've given up. I now ride an older KTM 380EXC 2 stroke. I can actually lift it over logs. The next best thing is a converted 2007 or later WR450.

If you want a good dual sport you have to go European. Japanese Dual sports are a joke. Look for the bikes Chas_M mentioned.

my drze weighs in at 270 with fluids, so the berg doesn't have it on weight, just the way its displaced under the bike...and if you say the Japanese dual sports are a joke you haven't been on one yet...I personally like a crf450x with a crf450r cam. Its still heavy but I prefer the handling over most euro bikes.

A few years back we weighed several similarly equipped bikes, wet with full gas tanks, at the same time. My '04 KTM 525 EXC weighed 274 lbs (similar to the late model Husabergs) and my friend's DRZ400E weighed 300 lbs even. So I know for a fact that the DRZ400's weigh about 25 lbs more than the Euro bikes.

...and if you say the Japanese dual sports are a joke you haven't been on one yet...I personally like a crf450x with a crf450r cam.

Nobody is saying that Japanese dual sport bikes are a joke other than the fact that Japan does not even make a big bore semi lightweight dual sport bike. The CRF450X doesn't fit the bill since it is not a street legal dual sport bike.

450x's are street legal around here so that will change from state to state.

I also know for a fact my drz is in the 270's from weighing it on a truck scale, although mine is fairly stripped down.