Sign in to follow this  

new practice track and drowned it

Went to a new practice today, probably done a stupid thing, I was heading back to the car when I saw this jump, I went up on it slow and when I looked over there it was a pond about 4 feet deep I tried to hold back the bike bike slowly I went over and I am standing in the water with my bike submerged about 15 seconds, I did not have time to till the engine, it stalled under water, guy came by and we got it out, pushed it back to the car removed the plug and turned the bike upside down, tried to start it a few kicks and gave up, took it home drained both oils and kicked it over till all the water came out I now have it setting to dry over night with the plug out of the cylinder, tomorrow I will fill with oil and see if it starts, I blew all the connections dry, anything else I may getting into. I kicked it over and I am getting spark.

Chet

I can feel your pain.

Same things happend to me a few month ago on my 450x. Even after cleaning up the carburator, airbox, changing oils and filters.. the bike didn't want to start. The compression seemed low so I tore the motor appart to find out there was sand on my valves and the piston rings were shot.

Good luck!

Well so far so good, put fresh oil in both reservoirs cleaned the plug, and did not fire up only tried about 7-8 kicks, removed the plug, it was wet, dried the plug and heated it up with a torch till I could just about hold it in my hand, put a few drops of gas in the cylinder installed the plug and it started, ran it for about 4 minutes, changed the oil it was white had to change the oil 5 times before I was satisfied. muffler weighed a ton, finally after running and changing the oil, it dried up, so all is well so far.

Chet

i would suggest to put a new spark plug in it i did the same thing this season and cleaned my plug good and had problems down the road with the plug

i would suggest to put a new spark plug in it i did the same thing this season and cleaned my plug good and had problems down the road with the plug

thanks for the tip, I will get one tomorrow, did you use a NGK oem plug or a crossover type, any alternatives, by the way I had a 96 Formula 500, ran like a raped ape, it was ported and the rotary valve was modified, gave plenty of 600's a problem, even grass dragged it a few times, changed the top sprocket for 500 foot races, awesome acceleration.

Chet

I'm glad you got it going again! Pretty much everyone that I've dealt with that was submursed under water needed rings at minimum. My kid scrubbed a jump earlier this year and his foot peg caught in the face. We found his bike in a pond with about 1" of the handle bar on the throttle side sticking out of the water. It had to come 100% apart, it was muddy water and it sucked it in everywhere. You really got lucky Chet! Hopefully it won't be lacking power.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie

Tomorrow we go to a track and see how it goes, the water I went it was very clean, drinking quality, hope I don't need rings, hope it still has power, sounds good & revs as usual.

Chet

Thanks Charlie

Tomorrow we go to a track and see how it goes, the water I went it was very clean, drinking quality, hope I don't need rings, hope it still has power, sounds good & revs as usual.

Chet

Clean water shouldn't be too bad. I'd run it a short amount of time and drain the oil. Don't need to destroy that crank because you didn't get all the water out. Any sign of milky oil in that engine, get rid of it right away! Good luck Chet, let me know how it turns out!

Went to the track today, I was ready for the worse, warmed up the bike, took it out for a slow lap, came back in checked oil no white at all, so I was confident no water internally, then I went out for about 15 minutes a few fast laps and then I was happy, overall I noticed since it was drowned, it starts easier, why don't know, power is the same. I went up with 2 of my buddy's who have a 08 & 10 CRF450R's they ask if they can take a lap or 2, for some reason they raved how they like the 250 compared to the 450, in fact one rider I had to flag him down to come in, he said this bike is so much fun to ride over his 450, they offered me to ride the 450's. I passed cause I feel I might want one. so we loaded up and headed home. So Charlie so far I am back to a normal person, now I have a few months to think about If I want to put approx $1000 in mods to help the bottom end power or move up to a 2012 CRF250R. can't wait till I read the shootout reports on the 250's for 2012. and see how Honda's top end pulling power with the 46mm TB does vs the 2011 with the 50mm TB, I have been thinking of the Kawi too if I make a move, but I love the way this Honda turns & handles.

Chet