Sign in to follow this  

Bearing puller set for stubborn bearings

I need to swap out the bearings on the rear wheel of my XR 650L and i can't seem to tap them out with a punch and hammer, so i am considering a bearing puller set. Does anybody have any recommendations in brands or style of tool to use. Thanks

I used a Harbor Freight puller. You just have to make sure it is tightened very well and sue heat. It was not easy to remove. I actually have a couple pictures of the setup.

I attached the puller, then using a ratchet strap, I attached the handle of the puller securely to the top of a door frame. The idea was to have my wife stand on the tire and provide an extra hundred(and change) pounds of upward force.

After heating with her hair dryer fort a few minutes, you start yanking on it HARD. As hard as you can. It still barely moved at first. After 5 or 10 good hits, I could see that I was making a little progress.

20100811001.jpg

20100811-002.gif

20100811-003.gif

That is one nasty bearing :busted: A good habit to get into is putting your bearings in the freezer before you get started so they go in easier when your ready.

20100811-003.gif

Harbor Freight is good. But long term, Motion Pro tools will be better for your tool box if you can swing the extra cash.

Thanks for the replies, sorry it took me so long to get back with a reply i didn't have access to a computer for a week. Anyways that is an interesting way of removing the wheel bearing Akarob, does it come flying out of the wheel uncontroled? Whats the deal with the motion pro tool, how well does it work? What size is the axle?

I have the motion pro wheel bearing remover set. I believe 6 different sizes. Voodoolord's picture is an internal bearing puller, which is different than the wheel bearing puller. But both tools will both pull the bearings out.

With a wheel bearing puller you:

1) tap a step cylinder looking plug into the bearing hole

2) drive a straight looking tire iron (Diver) into a groove into a slot in the step cylinder

3) I then, lift the wheel up as it would be on the bike.

4) then tap the driver and pushes the bearing out.

5) I haven't had any problems, or difficulties with this method

I have the harbor freight puller set and a pit posse wheel bearing puller set similar to the motion pro. I find the hf kit to be easier and more effective to use.