Clutch problem? '03

I'm still having a problem on my 2003 yz250f dirt bike. I think it is the clutch but i can figure out what or why.

Problem:

When ever my bike is in neutral the rear wheel spins nice smooth and freely. But when i put it into gear and pull in the clutch lever the rear wheel will not spin, I can get it to spin but its really hard where i need to use two hands. (It bugs me cause when riding and pull in the clutch and let of the gas it slows me down)

I have tried adjusting the clutch (will try it again tomorrow) but still nothing. I have no ideas what it could be. I changed the clutch springs thinking it was cause i had the heavy duty springs in but its not. I changed the clutch cable, still having this problem.

Any ideas need to get it working properly before desert season starts thanksgiving.

:busted:

Thanks (:

There are quite a few threads on this and your problem is quite common. Look up grabby clutch or hanging clutch. A common fix is replacing the fibers and steel. Some have found that changing their oil to a different type or lighter weight solved their problem. Look up the 79 cent fix or is it 89? Anyways, it's about the washers.

I tried the washer trick and im still having the problem, I did have some notching on the basket and i filed it down to make it smooth again.

When im in neutral bike spins fine but when in gear and i pull the clutch lever in it is not disengaging the clutch. im confused on the problem ugh

i will be adjusting it properly in the morning, I just put new oil in and done for the night, I did notice on the clutch plates that there is black spots on all of the plates (not the friction plates), could i have burnt my clutch? and that causing the problem? I did smell burning oil last time i was riding.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm having the same issue after a rebuild, its more than just a grabby clutch, its basically not dissenginging at all, when in first with clutch in, it feels the same as in first with clutch out... did you figure this out?

?

still going to try and figure it out, i did replace new oil in and after i warmed up the bike for about 5 mins took it for a ride down the street and then try pushing it, it does not grab as much. What i did was file down the clutch basket if it has notches. it helped a bit.

also next step is to replace the clutch plates, im just waiting intill i get the money to do this. if this step does not work, you might want to replace the basket :/ but i would take my bike in before that.

other then that, im stumped on this problem still, and just every time i ride i play around with different things to see if it will help.

Can you put it in first while the engine is running without stalling?
Did you have your clutch apart during your rebuild?

when i tried putting it into first while running it stalled fast, i didn't even realize it was the clutch, kinda like on a street bike when you go from N to first with kickstand down, engine just cut out with a jolt

and yes, my clutch was apart during rebuild, before re-installing it i coated all the friction and steel plates with engine oil.

i've still got the ball bearing, i took the clutch apart again, and after i had the pressure plate out i could spin the two hubs seperately by hand (very very stiff)

i called my local shop and a new EBC kit is $130 so i decided to clean the friction plates again, and now they are soaking in oil, i'll try this before purchasing new clutch plates. also going to go over the clutch hub for nicks or scratches.

also, whats the difference between the No1 friction plates and the No2 ? do they physically LOOK different, or is it just stamped in the plate and it has no visual difference?

got it figured out! i soaked the plates in oil overnight and just put it back together a few hours ago, it was still a little sticky but i rolled it around my garage and it started loosening up, then took it outside to see if it would work. it did! as soon as i got going i pullled in the clutch and revved it up a little, this seemed to have got them rolling again. only small problem now is that the bike wont keep idling when i come to a stop unless i keep giving it a small amount of gas.. oh well! i'll leave that to another day

Sounds like your pilot jet is clogged. When was the last time you cleaned your carb? It might be easiest to just replace the jet, they are pretty cheap and can be hard to clean well with that tiny hole. If you get that cleaned or replaced I'd bet your idle problems will go away.

when you checked your basket to see if it was smooth, did you feel the tabs?

also for the difference in no.1 and no.2 clutch plates, are you taking about the first friction plate and the last friction plate? I think oem plates uses different ones? cause on my tusk plates there is no difference in the first and last plates? if there is then i have them in wrong lol.

when you checked your basket to see if it was smooth, did you feel the tabs?

also for the difference in no.1 and no.2 clutch plates, are you taking about the first friction plate and the last friction plate? I think oem plates uses different ones? cause on my tusk plates there is no difference in the first and last plates? if there is then i have them in wrong lol.

yes i checked the basket for the grooving, it wasn't perfectly smooth but it seemed reasonable to me. i got the clutch unstuck and took it for a nice wintery ride!?