Boring a 650

I set up my cylinder with torque plates in the 4 jaw chuck on my lathe and bored it today for the 780 cylinder liner.

I was suprised that out bores are not lined but has a very thin plating over the aluminum. It is very shallow and my first cut with the boring bar cut it totally out.

Our bores if scored can not be rebored.

I will have to take pictures tomorrow and post them here on my 780 build up.

The cost here to replate the cylinder to any size you want is $450.

You can bore the aluminum to any size you want, send it out and they with plate and hone to your dimensions for this $450.

If your bore is damaged from a seizure you can use muriatic acid and eat the aluminum out leaving the plating clean and undamaged from the acid.

Just some worthless information I picked up today.

I set up my cylinder with torque plates in the 4 jaw chuck on my lathe and bored it today for the 780 cylinder liner.

I was suprised that out bores are not lined but has a very thin plating over the aluminum. It is very shallow and my first cut with the boring bar cut it totally out.

You can bore the aluminum to any size you want, send it out and they with plate and hone to your dimensions for this $450.

If your bore is damaged from a seizure you can use muriatic acid and eat the aluminum out leaving the plating clean and undamaged from the acid.

Plated cylinders have been the norm in the motorcycle business for 30+ years. Many (most) modern motorcycles can't be bored to fit an oversize piston.

$450 to replate a cylinder is about double the normal cost here in the US.

Plating really did fantastic things in the two stroke world. The more modern MX bikes were great when all you needed was a straight piston change out as opposed to a rebore every time. I considered lining one of my twin Yamaha's but on balance it wasn't really worth it.