Sign in to follow this  

DT 175 piston kit

I'm going to be trading my 79 DT250 for a 74 DT175. This is mainly because I want a bike with a title so I can plate it and cruise around up at my family's cabin mostly. The 175 is blown up and needs a new top end. It still has a standard size piston in it. They guy is also throwing cash in this deal, enough to cover the cost to rebuild the engine and a few other parts it'll need. My first bike was a 74 dt125 so I'm familiar with the bike and still have the clymer manual for that bike. The bike is a little rough looking but it's not trashed. I see there are plenty of parts available for these bikes on ebay. I was wondering if anyone has info of this piston kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Kit-Yamaha-1-00-DT175-MX-TY175-67-00mm-/110759719418?hash=item19c9cb31fa&item=110759719418&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&vxp=mtr

They have all the different bore sizes. I'd also like a bike for my girlfriend to run around on. She's ridden the 250 a few times but at 5' nothing its a bit tall for her. haha

Edited by 79yamdt
Corrected title

I would try to get the 250 titled. If it had a street title when it was new you should be able to have another one issued. I'm not saying it would be easy though, good ole PA likes to make things tougher than they should be.

The VIN numbers are not on the steering stem. So I can only assume it's been stolen at some point in its life. I don't really want to dig into it. I have a DT400 with a bill of sale if I wanted a bigger bike for on road. Both of my current bikes have been rewired and missing many electrical parts needed to make it street legal. Having a title for the bike just makes things so much easier. This 175 has all the electrical intact according to the owner. The wires are just snipped for the turn signals. All switches are there.

Standard bore on your DT175 is 66mm the piston that you listed is 67 which is overbore #4.

The Yamaha overbore increments are .25mm

Using that piston would kill 3 potential overbores in the future.