Sign in to follow this  

Calling all trouble shooters.

Long time lurker looking for some help. I purchased a Yamaha BW80 in need of a rebuild. I rebuilt the top end with new piston, ring etc. After putting it all back together I kick it over and it starts right up but the idle is so high that I have to shut it down immediately. It did not do this before the rebuild so I am coming to you bike heros for some help. Any suggestions where I should start troubleshooting would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. Check for vacuum leaks and make sure the throttle cable is not binding or holding the throttle open.

Post this in the peewee section and ask Smacaroni for some help.. He is the PW80 guru = pw god!

I agree, check the throttle cable first, then check for air leaks where the carb mounts. Did you do anything else to it? What was the weather like when you first got it? It has been getting colder out so if you haven't run it in a while it could just be the cold weather has made it run lean.

Long time lurker looking for some help. I purchased a Yamaha BW80 in need of a rebuild. I rebuilt the top end with new piston, ring etc. After putting it all back together I kick it over and it starts right up but the idle is so high that I have to shut it down immediately. It did not do this before the rebuild so I am coming to you bike heros for some help. Any suggestions where I should start troubleshooting would be much appreciated. Thanks.

do you have throttle freeplay ?

Sure ya got the carb slide in correctly?

+1^...

If the carb slide is in backwards, it will rev just like yours is doing.

I've never done that myself like a half dozen times before.. haha..

Sure ya got the carb slide in correctly?

x3. It only fits in one way properly, the other way is nearly all of the way open. There should be a long groove on one side- that slips into a pin inside of the slide channel (on the opposite side of the idle adjustment needle). The idle adjust needle sits in an angled groove on the bottom of the slide.

100% of the time this has happened to me it was because of something simple, say a stuck throttle, idle adjusted wrong, bikes will run HIGH if they're starving of gas. Just simple things. Good luck.

Hey guys thanks for the help. You were right I had the sleeve improperly positioned. She starts and runs well now. I appreciate the quick replys as well. Alot of times on forum boards if you are not a regular poster you tend to get ignored. Keep up the good work!