Sign in to follow this  

1981 Yamaha XT250 Flasher issue

Hi,

Picked up a nice 1981 XT 250. Mechanically it's sweet, purrs.

Electrics are the issue.

At first it didn't have the front flashers. (since added)

The rear flashers would go on, but would not flash / blink.

Since installation of front flashers, the rear ones will not go on. The front ones do (as does the indicator light on the "Dash" which did not before).

They still won't flash.

When I unplug the front flashers, the rear ones work again.

Nothing flashes, no matter what.

Headlight works fine, high and low beams.

Tail light works when brakes depressed, but nothing when they are not. Dual filament blub appears intact.

Wiring harness looks good, no apparent modification or wear and tear.

4k miles on it, mostly well taken care of.

Dead flasher relay?

Thx

Jim

Hi Sheridan64:

Flashers on old Yams run off the battery, as well as the horn, brake light, neutral indicator, and tail-light. The headlight runs directly off the generator/magneto anytime the bike is running.

The flashers will only work if the battery is in good shape and charged fully....and having the engine running. Also, the bulbs have to be the proper wattage..6 volt 18 watts..anything different won't work, and maybe you have miss-matched bulbs.

If you have to run different bulbs or LEDs you can replace the flasher with a "non-load dependant" flasher. The Tridon EP-27 is a common example that will fit your bike and will flash any combination of bulbs.

The tail-light on your bike is a combination 21watt (brake lamp) and 5 watt (tail-light) bulb. The tail-light is only 5 watts and is very dim...with a low battery it would be hard to see.

Patuca

Yup check you bulbs be sure there 6 volt and match watts

Good Ground is Must to

Thx.

The battery is new, so we can check that off.

Perhaps the bulbs or dud flasher. Ground a good point as well.

In any case, I dragged it over to the guy in Culpeper yesterday. Will ring them with this info.

Another trick I've used over the years....6 volt systems are not powerful enough to burn connections clean like 12 volt systems often can and 6 volts is sometimes stopped by small amounts of corrosion and dirt in the connections.

All the connections for most older bikes are in the headlight shell, so I remove the headlight now and then and unplug, and then reconnect all the plastic connectors, one by one. This alone can cure lots of wierd problems.

patuca