Sign in to follow this  

'85 XR600 won't idle very long.

Ok so I got this bike about three months ago. On the outside it appears this bike is in perfect condition. It was very well taken care of, not a bit of rust or sign of mistreating anywhere.

It ran perfectly for about two months and then started acting up. It started to smoke a little bit upon start up, just a little blue smoke but then once it warmed up it was fine.

Next came the idling. One day I was riding around and it would die at stop lights. Then the next day it was fine as if nothing was happening.

So I figured it was the valve seals so I was just planning on replacing them this winter and doing what I can until then. I adjusted the valves, and replaced the spark plug and it ran great for about a week after that.

Now the throttle is sticky. At first I thought it was the slides that were sticky but it doesn't appear so. I tried lubing the actual throttle assembly and that made it a tiny bit better but still very stick at full throttle and slow to return.

Now it won't idle for longer than 20-30 seconds, what is going on??

It seems like something really simple like a dirty petcock or a dirty carb or something like that, but I'm not for sure....

Anyone have any clue what could be going on??? I haven't tried cleaning the petcock or carbs but that's my next two things I'm going to try.

It will run fine if you jump on it and go but it will not idle for the life of me. Cold starts just fine, idles with the choke on just fine but then turn the choke off and it died within 15-20 seconds.... I am getting insanely frustrated, what could be going on??? :busted: x1,000

edit: almost everything is original minus the supertrapp exhaust.

Oh and when it dies on idle the last noise it makes is kind of like a "spitting" sound.

I got the throttle stickyness fixed but still no luck with the idle problem.

I tried blowing through the overflow tubes and one of them did seem a bit plugged but not completely.

I did as the manual suggests when the engine is flooded and I help the kill switch, decompression lever and gave it a few kicks with the throttle on full. It did spit out some fuel from the overflow tubes. What does this mean?

Is my float level too high? If so what does that mean and how do I fix it???

Edited by Mohtee

Clean your carbs. While your in. there check your air cut off valve and make sure it doesn't have holes in it.

KK thanks, will do.

I adjusted the fuel mixture carb today which I've never done. Made it richer by about 3/4 turns. I think it was nearly out two turns which I live at high altitude so that doesn't really make sense to me why it was that lean. So now it seems to idle fine when the bike is upright but it died once when I put it on the side stand.. I will definitely clean the carbs though tonight and see how that goes.

you need to lean it out as you go up in elevation...

clean carb, check acv valve for sure and recheck floats and stuff...

good luck:thumbsup: