Sign in to follow this  

Helmet visor catching wind?

I have a helmet kinda like this one, it is DOT approved

0866-1601-400.jpg

I recently bought a DS bike, and now i notice on higher speeds (50+mph) the visor catches lots of wind and i have to fight to keep my head forward, it wants to push my head back.

Is this normal, you guys that ride DS onroad and reach higher speeds notice this?

What can be done?

I have a helmet kinda like this one, it is DOT approved

0866-1601-400.jpg

I recently bought a DS bike, and now i notice on higher speeds (50+mph) the visor catches lots of wind and i have to fight to keep my head forward, it wants to push my head back.

Is this normal, you guys that ride DS onroad and reach higher speeds notice this?

What can be done?

Get a street Helmet if you want to solve it. Otherwise, remove your visor.

That's what I do. If I am going to do more than 15 min on the fwy, I take the visor off.

Get a street Helmet if you want to solve it. Otherwise, remove your visor.

That's what I do. If I am going to do more than 15 min on the fwy, I take the visor off.

Ok, good to know, i was thinking about doing that, but the person i bought the helmet from, lost the screw that goes in the middle of the visor ( to adjust it forward or backwards) so he permanantly glued the visor on the helmet in the middle.

Is there a downside to pemanantly removing the visor from the helmet?

Yeah, definitely tip the visor down as far as it'll go. I ride with an ACX3/CLX6 helmet like that and it really only grabs my head if I look over my shoulder at speed.

Dualsport helmets are better. They're great in the rain/snow, but generally suffer from the same buffeting problems offroad hemlets do.

Only solution is a straight-up street helmet.

I'm debating right now between another dualsport lid (I'll have to try on one of the new AFX DS helmets, they've got an orange/gray camo one that looks pretty nice) or just getting a street helmet.

You could always trim the visor a little if need be. I just adjust it down, I would rather have the wind pull my head back for a few minutes on the highway then look like a goon with a street bike helmet on in the bush.

why not cut some air slots in it to make it less of a parachute so the air goes through it better, or drill someholes it would do the same but some nicely placed slots would look better

why not cut some air slots in it to make it less of a parachute so the air goes through it better, or drill someholes it would do the same but some nicely placed slots would look better

Im gonna try this.....

Mine happens to me in the desert it's annoying. I must be too fast.