Sign in to follow this  

Good gearing compromise for low end and highway riding?

It's about that time for a new chain and sprockets and want to see if I can get a little more bottom end so, while still being able to commute on the highway. I stopped into a local shop and they suggested 15/39 instead of the stock 15/41. Would love to hear some suggestions from you all!

It's about that time for a new chain and sprockets and want to see if I can get a little more bottom end so, while still being able to commute on the highway. I stopped into a local shop and they suggested 15/39 instead of the stock 15/41. Would love to hear some suggestions from you all!

If you follow the shops advice you will be raising the overall gearing and it would be the opposite to what your looking to achieve by your description:bonk:.

If you follow the shops advice you will be raising the overall gearing and it would be the opposite to what your looking to achieve by your description:bonk:.

Haha yeah, I know.

I ride 14-41. It has good torque down low, and will still run decently on the highway (65-70 or so)

Were there any issues dropping down a tooth in front?

yeah , they probably had the sprockets in stock !!

try 15 ~ 44 for more bottom end

Any idea how that'll cruise around 70?

All changing the gearing in that direction will do is give 1st gear more grunt, and 5th more buzzy. Goto 15/44 and enjoy the more relaxing highway ride.

14/41 and 15/44 end up about the same. 15/44 is stock S and won't be terrible at 70. 15/47 -14/44 starts getting uncomfortable at 70 cruise. No problem with 14 or 15 front. 13 or 16 are tight.

Were there any issues dropping down a tooth in front?

What do you mean by issues? Just throw the sprocket on and ride:ride:

Gearing is always a compromise, but 14-41(or 15-44; pretty close to the same) works okay on the highway. Frankly, the drz struggles on the highway as is (which we all know). But for your original question, there weren't any issues, just take the 15 off and put the 14 on and ride, it'll give you some more snap but you'll lose some top speed. Gearing=Compromise; depends on where and how you like to ride.:busted:

well, instead of posting a new thread, i'll jump in this one.

PO did a 14/47 gear setup on my 03 drz400s

its great, plenty of torque and get up and go. however, i do ride it on the street a fair amount.

i bought a second set of wheels just for this. i would like to reduce the rpms when cruising down the road with the street tires on.

the new rear i got had a 46t sprocket.....

how far should i go down to? is a 44t rear much of an rpm difference at say 65 mph?

i know if i go to low, the chain would be to long right? i'd like to stay with the same chain since i do put the dirt tires on it too. right now, with the 14/46 the cam is set at 2, and with the 14/47 its about 3 (which seems wierd, but, whatever)

how low of a rear sprocket could i go before i get nearly out of chain adjustment?

sorry for the highjack!

Just change the front cog to a 15T....That's similar to going down 3 T on the rear...

If the chain is stock length you shouldn't have to cut the chain if your keen on going to the 44T rear...

what kinda RPM reductions would i be looking at with either a 15t front or 44t rear?

would it be about 10% ie, a straight ratio of the diff in new and old sprocket?

I switched to 16T front on my S and couldnt be happier with it. Where I ride off road its pretty flat so I can deal with the loss of low end power.

I went from 14/48 to 15/44. The difference at 70 is very noticeable. It felt like I was beating the thing to death before. Now it runs 70 with plenty of legs left. Tops out around 90mph. That being said it really didn't seem to hurt the power in lower gears. It takes a bit longer to pull through each gear but still feels strong. I've done a bit of woods riding with the taller gearing and it does just fine. First gear is still pretty short and snappy and works fine at crawling speed. If you decide to drop the rear down you can always swap the front to shift things around if you're unhappy and it won't cost much.....

what kinda RPM reductions would i be looking at with either a 15t front or 44t rear?

would it be about 10% ie, a straight ratio of the diff in new and old sprocket?

Changing 1 tooth on the front is roughly the equivalent to 3 Teeth on the rear...

So going 15/47 is the same as 14/44...

15/47 = 78 mph/8,000rpm...59mph/6,000rpm...

14/44 = 78 mph/8,000rpm...59mph/6,000rpm...

14/47 = 73 mph/8,000rpm...55mph/6,000rpm...

14/41 is actually closer to 15/43

Not a lot in it but 14/41 is closer to 15/44 than 15/43...

14/41 = 63.2mph/6,000rpm

15/44 = 63.1mph/6,000rpm

15/43 = 64.6mph/6,000rpm

Changing 1 tooth on the front is roughly the equivalent to 3 Teeth on the rear...

So going 15/47 is the same as 14/44...

15/47 = 78 mph/8,000rpm...59mph/6,000rpm...

14/44 = 78 mph/8,000rpm...59mph/6,000rpm...

14/47 = 73 mph/8,000rpm...55mph/6,000rpm...

Not a lot in it but 14/41 is closer to 15/44 than 15/43...

14/41 = 63.2mph/6,000rpm

15/44 = 63.1mph/6,000rpm

15/43 = 64.6mph/6,000rpm

thanks for that!

being new to the DRZ400's, where is it happy RPM wise? i can see that 8k rpms isn't the max it will spin, but, does it like being run at 8k for more than a few min?

will it in the 6000 rpms all day long like its a sunday cruise?

i'm thinking of going to the 44t rear just for the reduced hwy rpms