Sign in to follow this  

Oregon dmv plate question

so my title came in today and it classifies my 350sxf under "MC". shouldnt it be offroad or something else? bottom line is i want to see if you guys know if it can be plated in Oregon.

Just call DMV and give them the VIN#

They will tell you right then if it can be plated.

so my title came in today and it classifies my 350sxf under "MC". shouldnt it be offroad or something else? bottom line is i want to see if you guys know if it can be plated in Oregon.

Dont do that, just go in and ask to buy your plate. If they say no, then it cant be done. :busted:

Just call DMV and give them the VIN#

They will tell you right then if it can be plated.

That is a awful idea. I've been turned down at my local dmv before, got in my truck and drove to the dmv next town up and walked out with a plate, been a year no problems.

They are able to plate any motorcycle in oregon, if the agent turns you down or pulls the book out get your paper work and walk out, if you do get a plate theres a chance you may get a letter asking for your plate back. You want a plate for your "motorcycle" not your dirt bike...

Hmmm.

Ive heard this before but I guess it just never made sense to me?

Its just a vin #. They punch it in and tell you yes or no. For sure dont say its a dirt bike though. No reason to give them a reason to look deeper than the vin #. I always just said its a dual sport bike the owner never regestered because he dident like ridding it on the street. Worked every time when the vin came back ok.

I have plated 5 dirt bikes over the last few years and before I bought them I got the vin # before hand and called. If I got a go ahead from dmv ( i guess you could call a few different ones if you got a no from the first if you wanted) I bought it and never had an issue. If they said no I just moved on and found another one I could. Saved lots of time and gas :busted:

Edit... I have never tried this with a new bike, so couldn't say which way is best for a new title

Edited by nw scout