Sign in to follow this  

xr250 smokin but...

hey guys, my 86 xr250r has developed a slight smoking prob. the color of the smoke is white/bluish which means oil right?

how can i tell if its the head or the piston/rings that are in need of replaceing?

bought the bike 4 months ago, the people i got it from put a new piston kit in it (wiseco). they provided pics and receipts from the rebuild. they said they didnt do anything to head except resurface the rockers.

any input would be really appreciated.

Smoke that appears on cold startup and disappears as the engine warms up = leaky valve stem seals/guides. Smoke that gets worse as the engine warms up = oil getting by the piston/rings.

Okay, the bike doesn't smoke on startup, but it sure does when shes warmed up! So i guess it gunna need a new piston n ring set. Replacing the valve guides/seats. Is that something thAt a DIY guy can do? Or does a machine shop gotta do it?

Sounds like the new rings didn't seat. Replacing the guides and seats is best left to a machine shop. If you don't have a factory service manual, get one, it is invaluable for repair and maintenance.