Sign in to follow this  

smashed toes in boot. Need new boots?

:foul:I'm sitting here in a lot of pain wondering if I shoould get new boots. It started with getting cross rotted on the jump face bike turning almost 90 deg in the air getting launched from bike flying layed out in the air arms out in front of me like superman, and I was honestly thinking as I was enjoying my flight and coming in for my belly flop just don't break the visor. My body made its final decent well past the nice sloped landing and onto the nice hard packed flat runway before the next jump. Props to my astrex knee braces, my 661 pressure suit, my helemet and my leatt. They all worket perfectly I could instantely feel in my knees, elbows and between my shoulder blades that I had hit something hard but there was no pain. I would have very sore knees and elbows right now had I not been wearing that stuff. My face hit hard enough to crack the front of the helmet and yes the visor too.:busted: The last thing I expected to injure coming down like this was my toes, but now I can hardly walk cause they smashed so hard into the front of my boots. My big toes are black and blue all the way around. I need to replace the sole on one of my boots but now I'm just wondering if I should think about getting different boots insted. I currently have Astars tech7s. I don't think its cause there to small, they fit realy good. I don't think it was a freak occurence either since it happend on both feet. I do have very skinny ankles witch may have let my feet slide forward in the boot, but I do wear the buckles tight. The toe boxes seem to be strong and ridgid on them. Maybe a size bigger would help? All I know is its been about 12 hrs my toes are throbbing like crazy, I'm going to look like an idiot sliding up stairs on my butt to go to bed here in a minute and I never want this to happen agian. And venting is not making me feel better. So since I don't have much faith In my current boots protecting me from this same thing again and I was kind of thinking about new boots anyways. What boot would be good? Strong toe box that also doen't let my foot slide foward. I quess when I'm better I could go try on different boots and kick a brick wall cause that's pretty much what it was like. I was jocking but that might actualy work.

I broke both of my big toes over this summer. The last one was about 5 weeks ago. I've been wearing a cheap pair of Thor boots and after the second incident decided to break down and buy a new pair of Tech 8's. I don't think there's any 100% guarantee that I won't injure my toes again, but I do feel the Tech 8's provide way more overall all safety than my Thor's did.

i didn't read all that, but yes, you can still smash your toes very hard wearing MX boots. it sure may hurt like hell, but think of what they would look like if you were wearing lesser boots or even worse, shoes!

Might look at Sidi, they seem to fit the foot area a little on the tighter side. A-Stars is second to none for quality, but they seem to fit better on bigger/wider feet. I've worn the same pair of Tech 3s for years now, crashed them off of innumerable rocks, stumps, roots, etc.. no foot injuries yet.

My brother clipped a rock in a desert race with his foot and is now missing half of his toe. That was in a pair of Sidi's! He still swears by them but also uses alpinstars. I like alpinstar for the money:thumbsup:

BoxcarWilly ----- he hates Alpinestars! (mental note)

Sounds like your foot was too loose in the boot and slammed inside. No equipment in the world can protect you from all injuries. Good equipment can decrease the amount of damage to your body or protect you from injury in minor accidents but not all of it.

Tennis players hit their toes in their shoes often. A friend lost a toe hitting a stump racing off road. My un pro opinion would be you just took a hard hit.