Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain?

Hi, i am the new owner of a 06 250f!! had it about a week and it goes great.

I am going to replace the top end next week and was wondering if I should do the cam chain as well? The bike has done about 50 odd hours from new and it runs and starts great! At how many hours are you guys replacing the cam chain?

Thanks for your help.:busted:

I second that. They are in the $20 range and easy to replace. Pulling the flywheel is about the only somewhat difficult thing to do but if you have a puller that's easy too. Clay

Book says replace the cam chain at 50 hours. If you run it longer, then it can wear the small sprocket on the crank. The only way to replace that is to replace the crank. Its not like a Honda where you can replace just the sprocket. Spend $20 to save spending $200 plus.

do it. i just did a top end on mine. its an extra 20 minutes of work to put the new one in. and you get that nice warm fuzzy feeling afterwards. knowing you spent a good chunk of money on everything else and dont have to worry about that old 20 dollar chain taking it all out.

Never heard anybody having problems with aftermarket chains but can't go wrong with OEM especially when the prices are about the same.