Sign in to follow this  

01 to 02 conversion

Was thinking about picking up an 02 roller next week and was wondering if I really needed more than the frame, triple clamps, radiators, plastics,and swing arm...I'm trying to get an idea if I can part out the rest of the bike and make the money I spent on it back...the guy wanted $700 for it originally, but $500 without motor...the motor is missing the head and cylinder and would basically only be good for the cases and trans...

Basically making

He seems to be an older guy that buys and sells bikes after fixing them up and this bike appears to be something he realized he'd lose money on attempting to fix...I offered him $300 without the motor and he thought I was crazy

I'm pretty sure you'll need the radiators from the 01 to put in the 02 frame. I've never done it but I think I remember reading that the lower right radiator spigot on the 02 will hit the powervalve housing on the 01. Double check though

$300 for the roller would be pretty cheap. Going by ebay prices, the frame could fetch at least $200. Assuming the other parts aren't trashed, the forks would go for about $150-$200, shock $70, front wheel $100, rear wheel $200. That's about $700 right there and I think my prices may be on the low side and that doesn't include the radiators, swingarm, triple clamps, plastic, etc...

EDIT: DRZ400Vet beat me to it. Just read what he posted.

Read through that and tell me where it talks about suspension...

Read through that weeks ago....

Thanks for helping though.....:busted:

where exactly did you ask about suspension specifically? you asked about a conversion, which he posted for you. if you already know that info why not specifically ask for suspension info and whether or not its interchangeable?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=974115&highlight=

from what im understanding, the shocks and forks are all interchangable. terrobelone makes mention that the rear shocks up to 08 crf and cr will fit.

just using some logic, considering terrobelone has an 01 and is posting info that he verified they are interchangble on his bike, id say that ALL year shocks and forks from 00-08 are interchangable as they all used 47mm showas too. so if you have a nice valved set of forks/shock youre trying to keep from your 01 to put on the 02 roller, id say you will be ok.

You will need the 01 rads and hose's. You have to be carefull with the suspension.

The eye to eye and stroke lenghts are not all the same on the shocks and the forks are different lenths as well. I have a set of 2006 crf forks on my motor swap and they are i think 5 or 10mm shorter so you have to run the fork at the very top of the tube at the clamp to match height. So measure and make sure or you geometry will jacked.