Sign in to follow this  

12 tooth front sprocket - any problems?

Hi,

Wanting to lower the gearing on my 2011 CRF450r and was thinking of going to a 12 tooth front sprocket. I know I can change my rear to a 52 or something similar, but it's a new bike so cost wise it is cheaper to replace the front.

Are they any problems going to a 12 tooth front?

Frictional loses are higher with smaller sprockets. That said, I have more power than I need with my riding style. Also, it will wear your chainguard faster.

Frictional loses are higher with smaller sprockets. That said, I have more power than I need with my riding style. Also, it will wear your chainguard faster.

And wear your chain faster.

puts more torque load on suspension, wears out chain guide, i wouldn't do it,

All that being said, for $10 you can see of you like the gearing that low. A ride it two isn't going to hurt too much. If you like it, put your 13 tooth back on and go up 3 or 4 in the rear. Hold onto the 12 tooth on case you go somewhere super technical.

I use 12/48 for sx, its very short for anything else. First gear is way too short, useless.....and you will need to shift too much, which doesnt matter at a sx track where you shift on the air, but hurts your speed on the ground.

A 12t sprocket combined with a wide chain can can rub the case. My DID 520 VM slightly rubs the case with a 12 t sp but goes away after I rotate the rear wheel a bit on the stand.

I would try 13/49 or 50 before. IMO its always better to use bigger sprokets for the life of the chain too.

Thanks everyone

I think I'm going to give it a go, I realise it will wear out my chain guide a bit more. I suppose with the tighter circumfrance it will wear out the chain more too.

Riding trails I find comming into tight turns I have to clutch it to prevent from stalling. If I find the gearing too short after changing it then I will probably go to a 51 rear.

i run 52 12 on my 450. helps soo much

ain't no mountain high enuff...........................

gonna try a 12 w/ a 48 this weekend. 4.00 should be different, hope it doesn't kill the top speed to much.:busted:

12/49 is as low as you should ned to go for the woods to get thru the technical stuff. Any lower than that and you're crawling.

12/49 or 12/50 is what I have been running for the past 180 hrs on my 08 450R. No problems what-so-ever...

Like everyone says, it's a slow beast on the fire-roads, but I only use those to connect the trail....

No side-effects on running a 12t...

i am currently running a 13-52 right now and have no problems switching from a tight sx style track to a longer outdoor style. RIO BRAVO in houston texas!!! woop love the place

Hey Bushman let me know how it goes and if u see and major wear on the chain guide

not worried about slider wear, need a change ( gear ratios). my slider and guide have some wear now, so you look for good part $.

:busted:

not worried about slider wear, need a change ( gear ratios). my slider and guide have some wear now, so you look for good part $.

:busted:

4.00:thumbsup:slider oh well

I went to a 49 on my 2012 and kept the 13 on the front. It made it easier to ride for sure but it feels like I could go lower. I was thinking of trying the same thing 12 front and 49 rear. Let me know how it works.

Any reports on the 12t front sprocket? I just bought one and am waiting for it to come in. I changed the rear to a 49 and kept the stock front 13t but it's still way too tall for me so I'm trying the 12t front with the 49t rear I just bought. MXA reports that the pro guys are using a 14f with a 52r.

I'm pretty sure you'll find severe chain sawing through the slider into the bottom of the swing arm pivot with a 12. Its common even with the OEM 13