Sign in to follow this  

Studs in tire - usable next year?

I was wondering if I could stud up my rear and maybe front tire to play around in the snow and ice this year (after all, I literally have nothing else I can do in the glorious Utah winters...)

I was wondering if the tires would be usable next spring when I take the studs out? Or am I going to experience excessive wear, bad handling, etc.?

And by the way.... How much do studs really improve traction on hard-pack snow? I've ridden years on it with road tires and bald knobbies, sure it's slippery but fun as hell to slide from here to there. Are they going to prevent my flattrack practice? :busted:

If you stud up a set of tires, leave the studs in there. Buy a new set of tires and hang onto the studded ones. I would also STRONGLY suggest studding both front and rear. The studded tires will last a few years. I put mine on a day or two before it's going to storm, then when the roads are dry I'll swap out for my regular dualsport tires.

Studs are incredible... makes a huge difference on ice/hardpacked snow. Not real great in 6" of fluff on top of hardpack/ice, but as long as your tires can cut through the snow and get to the hardpack/ice they'll do well.

I bought a set of Trakmaster II's that a frirend had studded for his WR a year or two ago. I was that crazy guy riding the motorcycle when it was snowing and -12°F last year. :busted: One day riding home from work, it had snowed a few inches that afternoon... well below zero... I saw 6 people on my 5-mile commute taking pics of me with their cameraphones. :busted: Had way more control and acceleration on the bike with studs than I did in my 4x4 pickup.

Rode to dinner with some friends to a biker bar in town later that week, again snow/ice on the ground and sub-zero temperatures... Had the motorcycle parking all to myself... walked in and got a round of applause from everyone in the bar that evening :bonk:

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

If you stud up a set of tires, leave the studs in there. Buy a new set of tires and hang onto the studded ones. I would also STRONGLY suggest studding both front and rear. The studded tires will last a few years. I put mine on a day or two before it's going to storm, then when the roads are dry I'll swap out for my regular dualsport tires.

Studs are incredible... makes a huge difference on ice/hardpacked snow. Not real great in 6" of fluff on top of hardpack/ice, but as long as your tires can cut through the snow and get to the hardpack/ice they'll do well.

I bought a set of Trakmaster II's that a frirend had studded for his WR a year or two ago. I was that crazy guy riding the motorcycle when it was snowing and -12°F last year. :busted: One day riding home from work, it had snowed a few inches that afternoon... well below zero... I saw 6 people on my 5-mile commute taking pics of me with their cameraphones. :bonk: Had way more control and acceleration on the bike with studs than I did in my 4x4 pickup.

Rode to dinner with some friends to a biker bar in town later that week, again snow/ice on the ground and sub-zero temperatures... Had the motorcycle parking all to myself... walked in and got a round of applause from everyone in the bar that evening :lol:

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

;) Sweet story, only get's funner when it goes below 0! :busted:

Wish I had the money to buy a set of new tires to stud..

Colorado and Utah rock!

question for snowmule, is it legal in your state to drive with studs? and if not have the police ever given you a hard time about it?

Studs are legal on any/all vehicles, but you can't run 'em year-round (not that I'd want to anyways). October to May if I remember right. Ice screws aren't legal.

Haven't been pulled over on the bike with studs on yet... :busted:

If your only going to do one tire do the front....Ever see ice racing? Just flat track with studs.

I am in southern oregon and I use studded tires from nov to may but only have my rear tire studded from jan-apr the tires are on face book extremegriptires@yahoo.com

405847_284966484889917_284964061556826_757911_829864449_n.jpg418991_313082948744937_284964061556826_828788_272005878_n.jpg