Sign in to follow this  

09 kx 250f woods setup

Hi guys, I have a 09 250f that is bone stock, less than 2hrs on bike. I purchased for my son a year ago.Well he broke his foot on 2nd ride and won't ride it anymore. I just picked up mint 06 kdx 200 for him,as he wants to trail ride instead of mx.I am thinking of riding 250f with him in the woods if it can be made into reliable offroad bike.What mods should be done besides skidplate,handprotectors ect? I am looking for reliablity advise.

Thanks guys- I am actually looking foward to going back to the woods- it has been over 25 yrs. I have been into mx only the last 25yrs.

Ernie:ride:

I love mine stock jetting ,skid plate, handguards, adj fork compression, K&N filter

Its a great bike

I rode it today when it is cold right off an idol it cuts out I think I will lean it out at the needle one groove

ride on

I have an 07 that i race hare scrambles with and my tuner has helped me set it up for the woods as follows: 13/50 sprockets, renthal o-ring gold chain, moose skid/glide plate, msr bark busters w/ brush guards, shorty moose levers w/ grip, SDG step seat (awesome), fmf mega bomb and 4.1 silencer, new jetting, engine ice coolant, and MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL, WHICH SHOULD BE DONE 1ST IS SPRINGS FOR YOUR WEIGHT AND A REVAVLE FOR THE WOODS!!! The bike is already a beast, but will buck you around on the sharp edgy stuff, soften it up so it can soak it up, new suspension for the woods will make you a better rider over night bc it just makes it easier to ride it through chop. I'd recommend spending the $700 on the new suspension before anything and most would probably agree. But if you don't have the cash for that, play with your clickers, soften it up, speed up the rebound and see what feels better. The stock settings won't be that great for the trails!

Buy a YZF or 2 stroke if your looking for reliabilty. As for your KX, the usual armour works good, maybe a guard for your head pipe. Good fuel, regular valve checks and adjustments and lots of fresh oil. The chain guides on the Kawis were junk so have BRP or TM designs in your phone book. Look for Ironman Sprockets or like wise combined with a quailty o-ring for durability.

For trail riding this bike would be a great bike. I would mess with the jetting some to make it run better. You might or might not knotice it though. 42 pilot and 175-178 main. Me and both the wife have kx250f and ride tracks and when we go back home we ride a lot of trails. 09/07. I recommend some hand guards... Wrap around ones if you don't mind spending the cash but the MX ones are good for smaller branches. I got some powermadd ones that have a 1 year no questions ask warranty. They are mx ones and Have never broke on me yet! And I tend to crash a lot. The one set I have has been on my last two bikes!

Only buy that YZF if you wanna see the guy you sold your Kawi to lay the power to the ground and go by you like your standing still!!! I agree with the suspension revalve though, you will feel like a new rider over night.

Only buy that YZF if you wanna see the guy you sold your Kawi to lay the power to the ground and go by you like your standing still!!! I agree with the suspension revalve though, you will feel like a new rider over night.

I agree, the KXF is one of the best engines made, but, in terms of reliability, its a POS.

I agree, the KXF is one of the best engines made, but, in terms of reliability, its a POS.

source?

suspension setup (not necessarily replacement) is always the best mod. For woods - it really depends on how and where you ride, but I can't ride at the front without a Rekluse.

suspension setup (not necessarily replacement) is always the best mod. For woods - it really depends on how and where you ride, but I can't ride at the front without a Rekluse.

I want one of those!!! That's my next big mod after I get my suspension sent off for Christmas!

I also put hand guards on mine, besides changing to 14/47 sprockets (the tallest I could find)

And a sidestand is very,very useful while you are trail riding

Great bike indeed, it would be the BEST ever for me if it had electric start

Cheers !!