Sign in to follow this  

New member, wrong bike

Hey Guy’s

I’m a new member and need some advice on the right bike. I have been riding street bikes for years so I have riding experience but have been out of it for a while. Wanted to get into trail riding here in central & N. Fl. I made one mistake already bought a 06 KLR 650 because I’m a big guy (6’2” 255) and thought it would be a good fit but it’s a tank in the woods and there is a lot of sandy trails around here, it just digs in, I Had an enduro when I was 17 thought an enduro would be he way to go, now @ 50 I guess trying to relive that time.. LOL. Selling the KLR after 2 months of ownership, It runs great a good tall bike (witch I need) but it’s a tank, how I have managed not to dump it yet I don’t know. Your input would be appreciated, Thanks …

i like my drz 400, im only 5'10 and 175 lbs and handle it with no prob. Its a good reliable bike.

Maybe a WR250 if you want something smaller or ktm 300 xcw if you like 2 strokes?

Have you looked at the WR/CRF-X 450 bikes? Plenty of mellow power, great offroad suspension, bullet proof design, fair priced new, or plentiful used.

If I didn't love 2 strokes so much (that, and I'm going to be buying a new sport bike instead), I'd be looking hard at the 2012 FI WR450 coming next March.

If your bucks up, there's the KTM 450XC-W, and the 'Berg FE450 too. But your looking at 9 large plus for either of those.

Just for clarity are, are you looking for a bike which will be both street/dirt legal, i.e., license plate and insurance. Or are you looking for an OHV dirt bike only?

Don't know what your pocketbook looks like, but i was at my friendly neighborhood KTM dealer and was really admiring the Husaberg FE dual sport (street legal) -- beautiful bike. Husquvarna and KTM both make "Enduros" that are basically dirt bikes with tags -- and if you are up to something different - the BMW 450X is a cool bike

Someone mentioned the DRZ400 too -- also a great bike that would probably be 3k less than some of the european bikes i mentioned

Depending on your state - it may not be that hard to tag a 4 stroke trail bike like a Yamaha WR or Honda CRF/X but i would lean towards one that is ready to go if it were me if some street capability is important to you

I'm a small guy and absolutely love my KTM 250 XC-F, but I ride with some big guys that like the KTM 400-500 range bikes.

Hey guy’s

I totally appreciate the Input, a KTM 250XC-F, or 400,, been reading the write-ups awesome bike from what I read but a pure OHV, I am kinda leaning for something I can register because allot of the trails and camping areas that I frequent don’t even let you ride a total dirt bike on the state parks and trails unless they are tagged or you have to go to straight off road areas such as "Crooms", one of the area's legal place to ride an off road bike here in west central FL., (other than motocross tracks) witch I’m not looking to do, so I need the lightest off road bike than can be registered, a dual purpose bike that would fit my big frame and have some power. The Yam. WR 450 or Honda CRF 450, ?? or the older version of the DRZ 400? cash flow is limited at the moment $3000 or so. Thanks for the help!

If you have to have a plated bike to ride there, there should be plenty of bikes already set up to be plated in your local used adds. Start scanning Craigslist and your news paper classifieds. Personally, I'd be looking for a plated WR450. Might even get lucky and run across a KTM 450EXC for your price point.

$3K for a plated bike isnt going to give you very many options.

DR-Z400S is a perfect place to start. Cheap and reliable, capable for what it is, and will get you going until you figure out how much of a dirt bike you rally want. It is a lot better trail bike than the KLR, and requires less commitment (purchase price and maintenance) than the far more capable Euro bikes.

DR-Z400S is a perfect place to start. Cheap and reliable, capable for what it is, and will get you going until you figure out how much of a dirt bike you rally want. It is a lot better trail bike than the KLR, and requires less commitment (purchase price and maintenance) than the far more capable Euro bikes.

Get the E if you want a pure trail bike. S is a dual sport or Supermoto

Used drz400s:thumbsup: Thats about it

It depends on the area....Ive seen clean 2005-2006 CRF450Xs, WR450s and 450 EXCs (maybe a year older on the KTM) for around $3K.

I was actually leaning towards a DR 400/350S, at 260lb for the enduro model is a lot lighter than 420 lbs. of my KLR, I think with pure dirt tires (I will do minimal street riding) and doing some work on the suspension would give me a decent off road bike that I can still legally drive around the campground roads and into heavier single track stuff. I found this 90 DR 350 on craigs list, kick start only but has had some motor work done to it. I talked to the guy that is selling it for a buddy, he has a motorcycle shop, he did the motor work for him and put a new clutch and a HR slip on muffler that he had laying around, it looks clean, he told me since it had 14,000 miles and they just wanted to freshen up the motor ,,,,that it never blew up or anything like that…. What are your thoughts guy’s ?

Thanks !

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/2600335967.html

By the way,, what do you all think on the price of $1,600.. he says his firm on it, going to go see the bike Friday.. tomorrow... I think it's a bit high??? for a 90, quick start..

Thanks, QRIDER

Thats alot of miles on an old bike...I would pass. Im about to sell my 2001 WR 426 to a friend for $1800...if that serves as any benchmark. The WR will outperform that bike in every way. Its a very clean well maintained bike...Im the second owner. I wouldnt pay more than $1100-$1200 for that DR...but thats me.

I found this 90 DR 350 on craigs list, kick start only but has had some motor work done to it. I talked to the guy that is selling it for a buddy, he has a motorcycle shop, he did the motor work for him and put a new clutch and a HR slip on muffler that he had laying around, it looks clean, he told me since it had 14,000 miles and they just wanted to freshen up the motor ,,,,that it never blew up or anything like that…. What are your thoughts guy’s ?

Thanks !

I bought a 99 DR530SE last year. Did the usual things, chain sprockets, brake pads, fluid, etc., etc. Thing is, with several previous owners and being an 11 / 12 year old trail bike, it seemed like it always needed something minor. I got tired of messing with it, and bought a newer bike that I can just ride.

A late-model, well cared for DR-Z400 would be a lot easier to own.

yeah i personally wouldn't buy a bike that old. But it at least looks in decent shape. Id still try to beat him up on the price, just because 20 years old

The DR350 is a solid bike. I've owned two of them over the years. Reliable and well built. $1,600 sounds way too high for this bike. This is a problem with used "fixed up" bikes. It takes way too much $$$$ to fix up than the bike is worth.