Sign in to follow this  

KX250f Footpeg Mount pulled off

I have an 08 kx250f the the shifter side footpeg mount pulled off from a crash yesterday. The hole is stipped out for the large bolt in the center (on the frame.) So.....do I just tap it out and re-thread it to the next size larger bolt thread(current size is an M12 x 23mm bolt)....and where do I find a new bolt that will work, since the head of the bolt appears to have a fairly low profile......I want to make sure I do this right, I don't want to take a hard landing and just have it snap off

Edited by tbesselman

In metric standard it jumps from 12 to 16 mm bolts. A 14mm thread is special and way harder to find. Fine pitched 14mm is very rare. Finding both a tap and a bolt will be very hard.

I have not been faced with this problem before, can a 16mm bolt even fit in the footpeg mount? Maybe the head can be milled down to fit if so?

When thinking about it, maybe it would be better to just drill it out and put in a helicoil thread and stick to 12mm?

Do not try to weld it. Dangerous.

Helicoil inserts are much stronger than the original thread. They are actually used from the beginning in some industrial thread applications.

I agree with DK. I just used a helicoil in an exhaust manifold for a tractor and it torqued down harder than the other studs. Buy a kit and it will have the exact drill bit, tap and helicoil. Try auto parts stores like NAPA and Car Quest. Good luck.