Sign in to follow this  

kdx 200-220 carb swap?

My question is- if I swap 200 35mm carb for 33mm 220 carb will that increase off idle throttle response? I know I will lose some topend, but I am fine with that if lowend is cleaner and stronger.This bike will be on tight mnt trails with lots of slow speed 1st gear, climbing switch backs,creek crossings ect.

So,has any of you tried this ? I think it will be the hot ticket personally.

Any feedback will be apprciated.

Ernie

P.S. My sons bike is 06 200 with gnaly pipe and turbinecore silencer,150 main,42 pilot,clip in 3rd from top.It is a very low hr machine.

Thanks again.:busted:

You'll probably have some issues with jetting. Not too bad if you're familiar with that process. While throttle response at very low throttle openings may be improved, you'll loose more than just "some" top end.

If you want more low end power from the bike, I would go about getting it in other ways. Having RB Designs bore the stock carb and install the divider plate will provide better low end response, AND better top end. An FMF woods pipe will also give it much more grunt on the bottom. Hell, I'd even bolt on a flywheel weight before I'd restrict the intake, if you're just trying to tame it.

My understanding is the 200 carb is the better one.

Try adjusting the air screw to tweak the off-idle response. You may also want to try lowering the needle.

I run the same jetting with the needle set at the 2nd clip from the top, at 1300 feet elevation with the same pile and silencer. If you are at higher elevations, you may be a hair rich.