Sign in to follow this  

Dual wheel setup?

2008 Suzuki Drz400sm ...

I want to have two wheel setups.... bear with me, not easy to explain.

I never go off road and the bike is used as commuter and hooliganism.

Want a setup for practice sessions and the other for normal use.

I have the stock wheels which just got new tubes and rubber so they aare good for a bit. My "spare" wheels are warp 9. They also have good tires on them but here's the problem...

Warp 9 has different rotors and no speedo ddrive on front wheel. Speed drive is not needed since I run the vapor but I will need something to put iin it's place when using the warp rim.

Here.'s what I want... stock rims and warp 9 to be able to swap out as though I had 2 sets of stock rims. I don't care about rotor size so need to figure out how to get both sets setup with same equipment.

Did I confuse anyone yet?

So, the stockers and warp 9's have different rotors, and you need a speedo drive eliminator.

Stocker has 310mm front, what does your Warp 9 have....

Stocker has 280mm rear, what does your Warp 9 have....

And then you need one of these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DRZ-400-E-Speedo-Drive-Eliminator-316-BilletRaceCraft_W0QQitemZ150671596313QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SILF:AU:102#ht_822wt_954

Warp 9... 320mm and 260mm

EBay link not working

Biggest issue... hubs are slightly different so I can't just order stock rotors for warp rims... mount bolt spacing is different.

Like I said, don't care if we go with bigger or stock setup but want both the same so it's getting confusing for me.

EBay link word ng now... durn tablet does that from time to time...

The eBay link takes me to setup for 400 e. I have the 400sm. Different rims and front end.

A. Go to Ebay.com and search "DRZ Speedo eliminator".....check results.

B. Go to WheelingCycleSupply.com and search the same thing.....check results.

Also look at Wheeling for rotor options and try the contact us tab and shoot Forrest a message for help.

C. Go to your local BestBuy and look at new computers, your's is link challanged! :busted::busted:

:bonk:

It's a Zoom tablet... android os does not always read the links correctly.

Yup... looks like I have to go with 320 front on stock rim (already have one on warp) and add brake bracket. Think that's going to run a bit over $300.. it is what it is. Also speedo elimination kit (spacer and seal).

Now... what about the rear? Same issues... brake rotor is problem here too. I should be able to just order correct rotor size from warp?

Think about this----Even if your rotor combination/size is the same, for maximum brake effectiveness you know the pads will have to bead in every time you switch wheels, or have dedicated pads for each set of wheels also.

This would be a concern if i were to do track days but for my normal use this is not an issue. You are very correct though and thanks for bringing that up!

Keep in mind I have stupid miles on the goldwings which are over 1,000 lbs so braking distance on the sumo is obviously much shorter.

EBay link word ng now... durn tablet does that from time to time...

The eBay link takes me to setup for 400 e. I have the 400sm. Different rims and front end.

I have rims from a sm in my e, should fit just fine.

It's a Zoom tablet... android os does not always read the links correctly.

Yup... looks like I have to go with 320 front on stock rim (already have one on warp) and add brake bracket. Think that's going to run a bit over $300.. it is what it is. Also speedo elimination kit (spacer and seal).

Now... what about the rear? Same issues... brake rotor is problem here too. I should be able to just order correct rotor size from warp?

The warp9 hub pattern for the front rotor, yz450 fits(thats what i put on mine). The rear is a ktm bolt pattern. I would give Jason Neely a call at warp 9. those guys will get you sorted. I know the SM rear rotor is larger than the S so if your warp9s were for an S model your rear caliper setup isnt going to work. You will need to talk to warp9 and try to find a larger rear rotor to work out or swap out a rear caliper mount, master, pedal etc with the rear wheel swap every time.

For the front there are a few adapter brackets that you can use(not $300). I have a braking caliper bracket for my S wheels and i think its the same they use to take the SM up to 320. again talk to warp9 cause they will know what bracket to use and probably have them or know where to get them. Guess work removed :busted:

also on the speedo drive note, just put the speed drive on with your stock wheel and put a rubber cap over the cable entry.

I have spoken with warp and they are telling me the 320 is not an option, even with bracket.

Just ordered spacers, both rotors, sprocket. Wish I had known they were ktm/yami hubs before buying. I wouldn't have purchased them.

I have spoken with warp and they are telling me the 320 is not an option, even with bracket.

Just ordered spacers, both rotors, sprocket. Wish I had known they were ktm/yami hubs before buying. I wouldn't have purchased them.

You know, in your case, as you are running OEM SM wheels now, Id skip the Warp 9 wheels (normally what Id look at) and just pick up a used set of SM wheels, there is two sets in the classified now, and another set over on SMJ, and be done with it. OR build a set off of OEM hubs. Run 310 disks on both sets or buy two 320mm kits and run um both that way.

the warp 9 rims are already here. Had i known about their funky hub setup the I would have gone with OEM.

Warp 9 says no 320 for my OEM sm model due to casting on bottom of left fork tube.

Unless somebody wants to buy or trade my warp 9's... think I am kinda stuck with them.

the warp 9 rims are already here. Had i known about their funky hub setup the I would have gone with OEM.

Warp 9 says no 320 for my OEM sm model due to casting on bottom of left fork tube.

Unless somebody wants to buy or trade my warp 9's... think I am kinda stuck with them.

Really? I thought, think (never done it myself) there are 320 kits for the SM.. Ok I KNOW there are 320 kits for the SM.. So is it just with SM wheels?

Braking 320mm kit for the DRZ400SM

EBC 320mm Kit