Sign in to follow this  

yz250 or other bike?

Okay. I am selling my 2002 KTM 200exc and buying a 250. I have come across a 2006 yz250 with all 2009 suspension, levers, wheels, cylinder, and swingarm. I have him at 2300 for it. Is that a good deal? Should i go ahead and get it or should i wait for a different one or an rm250, kx250, etc...? There is also a 2004kx250 that someone's asking 2500 for. Idk if itd be worth it. I hear great things about yamaha and suzuki. Here are pictures of them:

0722012244.jpg

imagejpeg952_10.jpg

And My Bike:

exc.jpg

All opinions wanted! :busted: Happy riding! :busted:

-Eddie

Okay. I am selling my 2002 KTM 200exc and buying a 250. I have come across a 2006 yz250 with all 2009 suspension, levers, wheels, cylinder, and swingarm.

-Eddie

If i'm not mistaken, all those parts are the same between '06 and '09 anyway -- why did he swap them out?

No matter . I would always go for a Yamaha (or aKTM) over a Suzi/honda/kawi for the simple fact that they are still current motorcycles for those manufacturer's and parts will be more commonly available for a longer period of time

That YZ is probably worth 2300 i guess - but how much extra are you going to have to put into it when you haul it home?

It looks like it has a few hours on it --- if you just needed to add gas and go riding, it'd be a no brainer

but if it has a grooved out clutch basket, needs new tires and has hooked sprockets -- those things cost money

Your 200 looks really clean! (but its a small pic) I'd have a hard time parting with it if i was mainly riding trails -- does that year KTM have ahydraulic clutch?

If i'm not mistaken, all those parts are the same between '06 and '09 anyway -- why did he swap them out?

No matter . I would always go for a Yamaha (or aKTM) over a Suzi/honda/kawi for the simple fact that they are still current motorcycles for those manufacturer's and parts will be more commonly available for a longer period of time

That YZ is probably worth 2300 i guess - but how much extra are you going to have to put into it when you haul it home?

It looks like it has a few hours on it --- if you just needed to add gas and go riding, it'd be a no brainer

but if it has a grooved out clutch basket, needs new tires and has hooked sprockets -- those things cost money

Your 200 looks really clean! (but its a small pic) I'd have a hard time parting with it if i was mainly riding trails -- does that year KTM have ahydraulic clutch?

Yes. It has a hydraulic clutch. I wouldn't get rid of it if it werent for the fact that i am 6'3, 250 lbs. Its just not enough power for me.

Sorry man, thats not 09 parts on the bike. The front rotor is round, 09 were wavey and larger. The small plastic ring around the forks, down by the top of the fork guard is white, 08 and newer is black which leads me to beilieve those are not 09 forks. A good way to tell is by the size of the front brake caliper, they got smaller in 08. As for the rear wheel, I cant quite tell but the disc does look like a wave rotor but not a stock yamaha one. With what he is claiming to be 05, with 09 parts makes me wonder what else he is BSing you with. I would walk away! The KX look nice though and has a good amount of goodies on it. From what I see the KX has skidplate, pipe, silencer, graphics etc etc.

Sorry man, thats not 09 parts on the bike. The front rotor is round, 09 were wavey and larger. The small plastic ring around the forks, down by the top of the fork guard is white, 08 and newer is black which leads me to beilieve those are not 09 forks. A good way to tell is by the size of the front brake caliper, they got smaller in 08. As for the rear wheel, I cant quite tell but the disc does look like a wave rotor but not a stock yamaha one. With what he is claiming to be 05, with 09 parts makes me wonder what else he is BSing you with. I would walk away! The KX look nice though and has a good amount of goodies on it. From what I see the KX has skidplate, pipe, silencer, graphics etc etc.

But still, it isnt worth 2500. All in all, would the yz be a good deal? Or should i keep looking.

I dont think that YZ is a good deal, it looks beat to piss! You have to ask why did all the parts "supposably" get replaced? IMO, I would pass on the YZ. As for the KX, it looks to me like a good deal and for the price, I think its worth it. The aftermarket goodies are worth a few hundred bucks alone if bought new.

But still, it isnt worth 2500. All in all, would the yz be a good deal? Or should i keep looking.

You are right... it could still be worth $2500.

For an 06, I would think a clean stock on would be worth about $2100. Then you can start adding the cost of any extras. What I like to do is to figure out a good price for the bike itself. Then pay 1/3 to 1/2 for the accessories. that is usually a good deal.

Be careful about buying bikes with suspensions that were customized for someone else. Its kinda like buying someone elses custom suit... it just won't fit. That would be the first thing you may need to upgrade and it costs so much that its not really a $2500 deal anymore.

Only walk away from a yz if the bottom end is bad. Everything else is fixable.

Not saying its not a good deal, I'm just saying you need to be aware.

btw... I had an 05 yz250 for years and really regret selling it. Lots of power. It had no where near the power of the ktm450 I now race, but it still had plenty and will be a big upgrade from you ktm200.

for your size, why are you not looking for a ktm300?

That KX also appears to have aftermarket rims with an 18" rear wheel, which is nice for offroad riding. Hard to tell cond from pics, but the KX might be a better choice, especially if you can get it for a lower offer.

I don't think Kawasaki made many changes to the KX250 after '04, and according to the shootouts, they were great bikes. Honestly all of the last gen Japanese MX'ers were excellent, I'd be more concerned with condition and price than a particular model.

That KX also appears to have aftermarket rims with an 18" rear wheel, which is nice for offroad riding. Hard to tell cond from pics, but the KX might be a better choice, especially if you can get it for a lower offer.

I don't think Kawasaki made many changes to the KX250 after '04, and according to the shootouts, they were great bikes. Honestly all of the last gen Japanese MX'ers were excellent, I'd be more concerned with condition and price than a particular model.

And looks to be aftermarket triple clamps too.

I'd try to get that KX down to the $2300 the YZ is going for, then there would be no question about it.

I'm with Pumpkin450 on the YZ looking/sounding shadey. Especially when some of the claimed parts start turning out to not be.

No real way for us to know what they're about from a small picture though. Look them over very closely, ride 'em, and you should be able to make a call on their condition and worth (to you).

You are right... it could still be worth $2500.

For an 06, I would think a clean stock on would be worth about $2100. Then you can start adding the cost of any extras. What I like to do is to figure out a good price for the bike itself. Then pay 1/3 to 1/2 for the accessories. that is usually a good deal.

Be careful about buying bikes with suspensions that were customized for someone else. Its kinda like buying someone elses custom suit... it just won't fit. That would be the first thing you may need to upgrade and it costs so much that its not really a $2500 deal anymore.

Only walk away from a yz if the bottom end is bad. Everything else is fixable.

Not saying its not a good deal, I'm just saying you need to be aware.

btw... I had an 05 yz250 for years and really regret selling it. Lots of power. It had no where near the power of the ktm450 I now race, but it still had plenty and will be a big upgrade from you ktm200.

for your size, why are you not looking for a ktm300?

I would really LOVE a ktm 300. lLike an xc or xc-w. But, they are so expensive. I can only spend what i get out of my 200exc.

Also what i like about the yz, is the aluminum frame. Don't those feel alot lighter?

No, it doesn't feel lighter. What I'm getting from you is that regardless of our opinions, your hung up on the YZ. IMO, it's a POS, whether you want to believe it or not.

I would run from the YZ as well. The guy is either BSing you or knows nothing about the bike. He might have bought it and believed the crap some told him. Either way that bike is being marketed as something it isn't. Very shady. If you really want a YZ keep looking. The most important thing when buying a used bike is to be patient and hunt down a good deal. With enough time searching you will find a bike you are happy with. If you rush you will likely have buyer's remorse later.

KX looks like it is set up for offroad with the skid plate and possible 18 inch wheel (as redlined said). Looks to be in nice shape too.

No, it doesn't feel lighter. What I'm getting from you is that regardless of our opinions, your hung up on the YZ. IMO, it's a POS, whether you want to believe it or not.

Well i hear awesome things about the 2006 yz250. I'm starting to warm up to the kx and i have the guy down to 2200. What would be the good things about the kx over the yz?

if you have to ask, then it isn't the right bike for you. you'll know when you've found the right bike. you can't choose the bike, the bike chooses you. i'm not saying go in blind and stupid to everything else and buy a piece of crap.

Well i hear awesome things about the 2006 yz250. I'm starting to warm up to the kx and i have the guy down to 2200. What would be the good things about the kx over the yz?

Your hopeless!