Sign in to follow this  

KX85 convert to KX100

I am about to convert a KX85 to a KX100. Does it make much of a difference to use the 85 frame versus a 100 frame? I know that there is a small difference in the length of these frames.

Are you just swapping engines or wheels and suspension too?

If you put on larger wheels and they hit the frame, your day could be over.

Get on a parts website, like ServiceHonda.com or Bikebandit.com and start comparing parts. Frame, cases, suspension. See how many parts are the same.

I am having our 85 bored. I am swapping swingarm, wheels and rear brake line. I know others have done this by using the 85 frame. I think it will work but I am wondering if there are any disadvantages.

ours seems to work just fine...

on a stock frame and swing arm and stock 85 wheels..

the length avantage and bigger wheels would make the bike track a little better and be a little more stable..but im not sure if its enough of a difference to justify the extra money..

mabey just look for a good used 100?

Ours worked fine too. Didn't know there even was a difference until a few months ago. There was a discussion on here, do a search. Also don't forget this part. Suspension will work but not correctly.

ARM-SUSP,UNI TRAK 39007-1262

Remember Power Valve too. Either cut to fit of a new one. Or better yet, the Pro Cicuit Power Valve.

I am using the Powerband linkage. Billy at Powerband says they are the same part for the 85 or 100. I know there is a minor difference with the stock parts. My main concern is the half inch difference in frame lengths. Will this make a difference with the geometry that may affect handling, etc.

I can text you the difference in frames if you pm me your number

its about 1/2 longer up at the neck. Im thinking the only thing you would notice is a more open seating area.If you are a bigger rider it may be worth to find a frame. But if not I dont think it will matter.

I found a frame for 40 dollars. Having the body of an adult with the mind of a child I spent the money.

I am a adult. 6 ft tall. Im building a 85 basket case to a 100 to play on and supermoto.

The difference is the CDI

the slightly longer head area of the frame

displacement obviously

Im guessing spring rates

and its the rocker part of the linkage that is different. Not the dog bones

And wheels

I was going to install a Xr100 motor,but I got to thinking why would I do that?

Id rather have a 2 stroke race motor. And it will be a whole lot easier.

If you need parts I have a few resources as I have been scheming a while

Im also installing a +2mm stroker crank. These things turn the revs of a model airplane. Its tales less time to install a crank in a 2 stroke than it is to change the main jet in my WR450

I have heard from 2 people that the Pro Circuit Power valve and spring are worth the money.

If I have the fun I expect to on it I will change them out in time

I ahve a basket case 100 that I can use the frame from. My 85 is low hour so I was wondering if it makes that much of a difference as to which frame I use. Our 85 cylinder is at Eric Gorr's right now but I also have the seized 100 which I plan on putting in the 85 frame after the big wheel build.