Sign in to follow this  

SouthCarolina Just got selected for orders to Charleston. Where to move/ride

Hey guys. I just got selected for new orders:banana:. Couldnt be happier. After almost 7 years in SD I finally get to move closer to home. So now the wife and I are looking for reccomendations on what part of Charleston to live in. Were thinking Goose creek or Summersville. Needs to be relativly close to base and would like somewhere that I wouldnt have to drive to far to be able to ride my bike. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

What kind of riding do you do? I would also consider the West Ashley area...certain locations in west ashley you would be going against traffic so your drives would be much easier.

I trail ride, so thats all I know. There is a place in the national forest with 40 miles of trails called Wambaw. Its about 30-40 minutes from West Ashley and probably about the same from the summerville/goose creek area. Another place called Manchester which is about 1.5 hours away with 20 or so miles of trails. Then there are several great places within a few hours of driving.

Mount Pleasant will put you right in the middle to the closest place to ride(trails) and the base. The closest track is in harleyville and is not always open.

You may be in for a little bit of a shock coming from CA as places to ride around charleston are not numerous. It really doesn't matter where you live in charleston as it relates to places to ride as you'll pretty much have to drive a ways to get to a place to ride.

Places to ride:

Wambaw Cycle Trail - 40 miles from downtown, 30 miles from Mt. Pleasant.

Manchester State Park - 100 miles from downtown, 75 miles from Summerville/Goose Creek.

Palmetto Motorsports - 100 miles from downtown, 75 miles from Summerville/Goose Creek

As far as places to live, Summerville is very nice - cool village type feel. When I was younger Goose Creek was a little rough, but that may be different now. As another post said, West Ashley is convenient to everywhere - bases, beaches, downtown. Mt Pleasant is also convenient but it is pricey, a little snobby and traffic there is horrible. I grew up on James Island and that's probably my favorite area. If you have kids be sure to check out school rankings as the quality of schools vary widely in the area.

Thanks guys. I ride trails no MX for me. I didnt plan on there being alot of places to ride. I am just gettin back into riding after about 12 years of not riding. So I havent ridden out herein cali much. I dont mind driving to ride all thought when i was younger we just rode on our property and the neighbors since I grew up in East TN. I keep hearing West Ashley is probably my best bet. My aunt lived there years ago and loved it. Was thinking goose creek as well.

I live in Goose Creek and I only do trail riding.

From my place its 38 miles to Wambaw OHV were I ride most of the time I get there by a nice 40 min drive through the Francis Marion Forest.

When I’ll like to ride some single tracks I usually drive 70 miles up to Manchester OHV using the I26/I95 or to Carolina Adventure World which is 140 mls away but all by I26 with a 70 speed limit.

Palmetto Motorsports is not so bad either but no single tracks there.

I live in Ladson and its a stone throw away from Goose Creek. Fabry is right on about the forest (Wambaw). Manchester is a little bit further out but gives a brake from the forest..Every one in a while Carolina Adventure World (can be challenging to ride) is fun to go and ride and Palmetto Motor sports would be my last choce to go...

When you going to be ready to ride Farby?

....When you going to be ready to ride Farby?

I’ll be riding at Wambaw on Sunday morning.

I’ll be riding at Wambaw on Sunday morning.

What time and how long? I may join you.