Sign in to follow this  

Sanding Gas Tank- I need help!

I've read a thread or two on here about how you can wet sand gas tanks and then polish them to make them look new...it's not working. I have an 02 yz125 that had some scratches on it since I took the graphics off so I figured I would try it. I wet sanded it with 400 and 600 grit sand paper and then polished it. It looks like crap. Everyone says to go all the way down to 2000 grit sand paper but where can I find it? I looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and the highest they had was 600. I can't find it!

Yup, any autoparts store. You need autobody wet/dry sandpaper. Dip the paper and water and sand with it, work your way up to 2000 grit before using the polish and it should turn out alright, lots of work though.

several years ago i had a kit that had different sand paper and a few different polish and conditioners for the plastic. i dont remember what it was called or where i got it but it worked alright. maybe you should look for something like that.

Alright there's an Advance Auto right beside my house. I might check there and if they don't have it then I'll try NAPA. Does anyone know about how long I should sand with each grit?

the object of using finer grit sandpaper is to sand out the previous sandpapers scratches no more no less no real time factor

I did this with my KDX tank, but only went to 1500. Came out very nice, actually.

after sanding i used a heat gun on a front fender on my 78 yz be careful just get it "shiney" looking & then i used headlight polishing compound after it cooled completely looked real good to me wasn't "brand new" shiney but 100% better than it did it takes some time to do the sandin' so get comfy i went to 1000 & that worked for me...just my 2cnt...

Rick

Alright there's an Advance Auto right beside my house. I might check there and if they don't have it then I'll try NAPA. Does anyone know about how long I should sand with each grit?

I know from using micro mesh kits on aircraft windows, you sand in one direction only, then on the next grit step, you go 90 degrees from the previous step untill the previous sanding scratches are gone. Takes a very long time for a tiny scratch, let alone deep scratches. I think you will get bored quickly.