Sign in to follow this  

electrical issues .... please help

hello im new to tt . new first time drz owner . I have a 2004 drz400s replaced my battery checked all connections with multimeter and everything seems to check out. no bad connections anywhere . however some times when i start the bike the lights and speedometer all cut out . is it possible that it's my starter and if so how can i check ? thank you inadvanced for your help.

hello im new to tt . new first time drz owner . I have a 2004 drz400s replaced my battery checked all connections with multimeter and everything seems to check out. no bad connections anywhere . however some times when i start the bike the lights and speedometer all cut out . is it possible that it's my starter and if so how can i check ? thank you inadvanced for your help.

Look in the DRZ FRQ section.... Do the charging system diagnosis.....Excactly as it indicates..... Post back with the results.... We'll go from there.....:busted::thumbsup:

Erling

No it is not the starter. If the lights and speedo go out when you start the bike, it is a connection between the lights and the battery. Not that that narrows it down very much.

Battery terminals, fuse connection, the connector Wlliam1 identified between the bat and the fuse, connections at the key switch, the key switch itself, broken wire, or possibly a ground return.

Thanks for all of the replies. It happens like every 5 times I start the bike. It wont start the speedo goes blank but the bike starts the next crank .I have done all of the steps from FAQ and everything seemed to check out. However my R/R seems to get very warm. I'm going to try the free mod and see if that helps.

No it is not the starter. If the lights and speedo go out when you start the bike, it is a connection between the lights and the battery. Not that that narrows it down very much.

Battery terminals, fuse connection, the connector Wlliam1 identified between the bat and the fuse, connections at the key switch, the key switch itself, broken wire, or possibly a ground return.

the free power mod wont fix the issue

i believe the answer is above

chooken is right. Free power will not fix this. You have an intermittent failure which makes it hard to find. I would take a close look at the possibilities I listed above. As a guess I would say ignition switch. That gets re-set every time it is cycled OFF/ON.

When you push the start button, it loads the system, that opens the electrical connection and kills everything down stream of the open - lights, speedo, ignition (and I assume it also will not crank, right?) Key OFF, Key ON, now it works? Most likely the key switch.

The more detail you can post the better we can diagnose.

Thank you guys so much I really do appreciate your quick responses. :busted: I'm going triple check every little possibilty meticulously . Its possible i overlooked something . I'll post any new discoveries.