Sign in to follow this  

Winter fun, Alaska style!

Just took her out for a run after this little snow. Figured it would be a good test of the new studs with the back roads still covered with 2-3" of semi packed/rutted snow on them. Got to ride on the mostly clear PW highway up to 45-50 MPH. She's pretty stable, not much wondering. It was very controlable. Studs are holding in great and seem to make a noticeable difference with traction when needed. I still can spin the rear tire at will but that is expected, traction is there when light twisting of the trottle is applied (It's VERY HARD to do!!) I've aired down both tires to 17psi for better flex and grab, figured the tires are pretty stiff when cold anyway. it was in the low 20's when ridden. Here are a couple shots from my i-phone. :busted:

attachment.php?attachmentid=298927&stc=1&d=1320627563

attachment.php?attachmentid=298926&stc=1&d=1320627481

looks like fun, cool bike. have pictures of how you did the studs? One thing you are going to really want are some good bark busters. you will snap levers left and right if you dont, as the ice is not forgiving, and will throw the bike down hard on the bars.

hit some snow here in washington yesterday too :busted: I haven't put my winter screw tires on yet though, probably come december I will

IMG_0204.JPG

Thanks, your bike looks pretty good too!! I LOVE seeing XR's dirty, like they were ment to be.........TOO MANY clean bikes on here sometimes:smirk:

As far as the studding, they are 11mm automotive type. Don't plan on too much ice running, mostly street and trail. Here is a link to our STUD PARTY!:busted:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738412

Just took her out for a run after this little snow. Figured it would be a good test of the new studs with the back roads still covered with 2-3" of semi packed/rutted snow on them. Got to ride on the mostly clear PW highway up to 45-50 MPH. She's pretty stable, not much wondering. It was very controlable. Studs are holding in great and seem to make a noticeable difference with traction when needed. I still can spin the rear tire at will but that is expected, traction is there when light twisting of the trottle is applied (It's VERY HARD to do!!) I've aired down both tires to 17psi for better flex and grab, figured the tires are pretty stiff when cold anyway. it was in the low 20's when ridden. Here are a couple shots from my i-phone. :lol:

attachment.php?attachmentid=298927&stc=1&d=1320627563

attachment.php?attachmentid=298926&stc=1&d=1320627481

:busted::thumbsup::busted:

Lookin good. Makes me want to get mine out once the snow fly's.

:bonk:

Then again....It looks COLD!!!! ;)