Primary Drive XRR Sprockets on XRL

Just ground down the Primary Drive, 15 tooth, cs sprocket to fit on the L. Surprised how much I had to take off the inside bevel to get the keeper on. I'm a little worried about using it now. To the people that have done this, did it work out alright, no problems? My splines look great after using the Moose XRR sprocket for 5000 mi.

Edited by zx12r

I installed new PD sprockets just a couple months ago. I also had to grind several times before getting it to fit, but I still don't think I removed any significant amount, and it surely still has way more contact area than the original L sprocket. The vast majority of reviews I read about PD sprockets were very positive, and I believe SpudRider has been using them satisfactorilly,as well.

Also, though I'm not positive, but I think that any excessive spline-grinding would serve to shift the sprocket teeth a tiny fraction inward and closer the perfect alignment that the OEM L sprocket had. I think we're good to go.:busted:

Just ground down the Primary Drive, 15 tooth, cs sprocket to fit on the L. Surprised how much I had to take off the inside bevel to get the keeper on. I'm a little worried about using it now. To the people that have done this, did it work out alright, no problems? My splines look great after using the Moose XRR sprocket for 5000 mi.

Update- On the keeper, retainer. After grinding the PD sprocket to get the retainer to slide on the splines, I quit and stopped to watch the Steelers game (Depressing) and wrote the above post. After the game I went to finish up, tried to bolt on the retainer and the bolts wouldn't go in, (I could get one in not 2nd), so i took the sprocket back off and 1 bolt hole in the sprocket was just a little off. The retainers 2nd bolt hole would not line up, and this is holding it in my hand, not installed on the bike. Same retainer I used with the stock sprocket and the Moose, so its the PD sprocket. To anybody thats got a PD sprocket to install, before you go through grinding to make it fit, make sure the retainer bolt holes line up. The old one went back on and I'll be buying another Moose.

I saw that happen with another make sprocket, except both holes were referenced to each other, but not to the splines. The keeper teeth didn't fully engage the splines, wore rapidly, allowed the sprocket to walk out over the keeper groove, trashed the countershaft in short order.

Dave

The Primary Drive, XR650R countershaft sprockets are wider than the PBI/Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets. The Primary Drive sprockets also have a shallower chamfer. :bonk:

It certainly appears to me that PBI manufactures the XR650R C/S sprockets for Moose Racing. I first installed a PBI XRR sprocket, and only needed to tap it on lightly with a hammer. I replaced the PBI sprocket with a Moose Racing sprocket, and it installed easily, by hand. :bonk:

I next installed a 14T, Primary Drive sprocket, and since it was wider, I once again needed to tap it on lightly with a hammer. However, I did not need to grind the inside chamfer. I replaced the 14T, Primary Drive sprocket with a 15T, Primary Drive sprocket, which is currently installed on my bike. The 15T, Primary Drive sprocket must be wider than the 14T, Primary Drive sprocket, because I once again needed to tap it on with a hammer, and I also needed to lightly grind the inside chamfer for the first time. :busted:

Update- On the keeper, retainer. After grinding the PD sprocket to get the retainer to slide on the splines, I quit and stopped to watch the Steelers game...

...After the game I went to finish up, tried to bolt on the retainer and the bolts wouldn't go in, (I could get one in not 2nd), so i took the sprocket back off and 1 bolt hole in the sprocket was just a little off...

...To anybody thats got a PD sprocket to install, before you go through grinding to make it fit, make sure the retainer bolt holes line up. The old one went back on and I'll be buying another Moose.

I didn't have this problem with either of my Primary Drive sprockets, including the 15T sprocket now installed on my bike. :busted: Thanks for the warning.? I'm frugal, i.e. cheap, so I will probably stick with the Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprockets. However, I will make sure the sprocket holes align with the sprocket retainer before I install any more Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprockets. ?

Spud ?

I didn't have this problem with either of my Primary Drive sprockets, including the 15T sprocket now installed on my bike. :busted: Thanks for the warning. :busted: I'm frugal, i.e. cheap, so I will probably stick with the Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprockets. However, I will make sure the sprocket holes align with the sprocket retainer before I install any more Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprockets.?

Spud :bonk:

I called Rocky Mountain for the hell of it, it was well past their 30 day return policy, order placed Aug 15. They are sending me a new sprocket for free, and I don't even have to send back the defective sprocket. They said "We'll send you a new one". Can't beat that for customer service, (I have spent quite a bit of money with them though).

I called Rocky Mountain for the hell of it, it was well past their 30 day return policy, order placed Aug 15. They are sending me a new sprocket for free, and I don't even have to send back the defective sprocket. They said "We'll send you a new one". Can't beat that for customer service, (I have spent quite a bit of money with them though).

Indeed, I love Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. :busted: Thank you for reporting the excellent customer service. :busted:

Based upon my experience, I don't think you can go wrong installing the PBI/Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets on your XR650L. In fact, I always recommend these sprockets for the first installation on a worn, XR650L countershaft.?

Indeed, I love Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. :busted: Thank you for reporting the excellent customer service. :busted:

Based upon my experience, I don't think you can go wrong installing the PBI/Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets on your XR650L. In fact, I always recommend these sprockets for the first installation on a worn, XR650L countershaft.?

The Moose Racing sprocket is a great looking part also, nickel plated. My counter shaft is fine, I just used the xr650r sprocket to prevent headaches. Do you have a pic of a 15T Primary Drive sprocket that you have ground down the chamfer? Just trying to get a idea of how much meat needs to be removed, seems like the one I have, needed a fair amount removed to get the retainer on(then the bolt holes didn't line up). Another thing I wondered about grinding them down is, if its case hardened, are the inside grind-ed down sprocket splines weakened?

...Do you have a pic of a 15T Primary Drive sprocket that you have ground down the chamfer? Just trying to get a idea of how much meat needs to be removed, seems like the one I have, needed a fair amount removed to get the retainer on(then the bolt holes didn't line up). Another thing I wondered about grinding them down is, if its case hardened, are the inside grind-ed down sprocket splines weakened?

The chamfer of the Primary Drive C/S sprockets is relatively shallow compared to the other sprockets I have installed. I didn't take a photograph of the chamfer after I ground it, but I didn't need to remove much material. :busted: However, the 15T, Primary Drive sprocket was the fourth, XR650R C/S sprocket I had installed, so my countershaft had been "conditioned" to accommodate the larger, XR650R sprockets. :bonk:

It's best to install the thinner, XR650R sprockets with the deeper chamfers for the first installation; that's why I recommend the PBI/Moose Racing sprockets.? Unless you prefer to save money with the Primary Drive sprockets, there is no reason to switch from the PBI/Moose Racing sprockets. ?

Spud :busted:

Update- On the keeper, retainer. After grinding the PD sprocket to get the retainer to slide on the splines, I quit and stopped to watch the Steelers game (Depressing) and wrote the above post. After the game I went to finish up, tried to bolt on the retainer and the bolts wouldn't go in, (I could get one in not 2nd), so i took the sprocket back off and 1 bolt hole in the sprocket was just a little off. The retainers 2nd bolt hole would not line up, and this is holding it in my hand, not installed on the bike. Same retainer I used with the stock sprocket and the Moose, so its the PD sprocket. To anybody thats got a PD sprocket to install, before you go through grinding to make it fit, make sure the retainer bolt holes line up. The old one went back on and I'll be buying another Moose.

I received and installed my replacement PD sprocket. The bolt holes lined up on this sprocket, so after a quick grinding down of the inside bevel, the retainer went right on.

I received and installed my replacement PD sprocket. The bolt holes lined up on this sprocket, so after a quick grinding down of the inside bevel, the retainer went right on.

Thanks for the update. :busted: I have installed both a 14T, and a 15T, Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprocket on my XR650L. The bolt holes lined up, and the sprocket retainer installed correctly on both of my Primary Drive sprockets.

Spud :busted:

• 1 month later...
The Moose Racing sprocket is a great looking part also, nickel plated. My counter shaft is fine, I just used the xr650r sprocket to prevent headaches. Do you have a pic of a 15T Primary Drive sprocket that you have ground down the chamfer? Just trying to get a idea of how much meat needs to be removed, seems like the one I have, needed a fair amount removed to get the retainer on(then the bolt holes didn't line up). Another thing I wondered about grinding them down is, if its case hardened, are the inside grind-ed down sprocket splines weakened?

I put my sprocket on my lathe to cut the inside. After a no go try with a carbide cutter I had to break out the dremel with a grinding wheel.

I also have to think it is NOT case hardened but heat treated all the way through.

I have cut case hardened metal and after cutting the casing its easy to cut. This JT sprocket I used is hard as he)).

Mick