Sign in to follow this  

Tube lube

Decided after a lot of wheel spin and lack of progress on the last ride that it's time to put on the new Dunlop D952 that's been sitting in the back of the garage. Got the tire off, and was surprised to find the tube "welded" to the inside of the tire. Apparently, when the PO put on a new tire, he didn't bother to treat the inside of the new tire with anything to keep it from sticking to the tube. Or maybe he used something like WD-40 that attacked the rubber, who knows? When I pulled the tube out of the tire, it had chunks of the inside of the tire stuck to it all over, and the sides of the tube were all chewed up. So now I am stuck on maintenance until the order arrives with a new BS HD tube.

Plan is to do the same thing I've always done with my bicycle tubes, which is generous application of baby powder to tube and tire.

Any further advice?

Just make sure you get original baby powder with talc, not the crappy cornstarch stuff.

use the michelin lube that is used with the bibb's, or any other tire mounting lube.

X2 A friend of mine swears by the Bibb's lube on his tubes. He pulled out two tubes last week one with one without. You could see the wear on the tube without the bibb lube.

Pros use duct tape as rim bands and have a tub or trash can full of baby powder that they dip the tubes in.

sounds like he ran a flat rear tire

That would explain the little flat spot on the Excel... But the tube isn't patched and the tire doesn't show any other signs of a puncture. I guess since he rode it out of his garage on his own property, he could have just not bothered to check the pressures some times after letting it sit for months. That kinda fits.

I've got two bottles of baby powder around from mountain bike stuff, so I'll go with that. Keep an eye on it and if I think it's worth it, order some Bibb lube to try down the road.

Pros use duct tape as rim bands and have a tub or trash can full of baby powder that they dip the tubes in.

Well I'm not a Pro but this is exactly what I do. I keep my baby powder in a big trash bag, throw the tube in there, shake it up and I'm good to go. The duct tape as a rim strip is great because the adhesive grips the spoke nipples and helps prevent them from loosening.

Well I'm not a Pro but this is exactly what I do. I keep my baby powder in a big trash bag, throw the tube in there, shake it up and I'm good to go. The duct tape as a rim strip is great because the adhesive grips the spoke nipples and helps prevent them from loosening.

Interesting, great advice! :busted:

I'll have to try that. My wife's TTR has a problem with spokes coming loose, the tact tape may help with that.

Pouring some powder into the tire and rotating / bouncing it a few times is a lot less messier than dousing the tube with powder.

Interesting, great advice! :busted:

I'll have to try that. My wife's TTR has a problem with spokes coming loose, the tact tape may help with that.

hes got good advice