Sign in to follow this  

How to change fork seals

great video, thanks! My 08 yz450f has been seeping a bit of oil for a while, will have to do those seals at some point soon. Any idea if the "smacking" procedure works on the seals for the yz 450? would be nice not to have to buy the seal driver. You're right, lots of people seem to think it's rocket science, but you showed it's an easy procedure if done with care.

I love the pipe wrench to loosen the fork cap and how you advacate to keep your shop clean! As for be a professional, look at that effn garage, its messy as hell, how can you find anything in there? I couldnt find one inch of bench space available. Clean that thing!

I love the pipe wrench to loosen the fork cap! As for be a professinal, look at that effn garage, its messy as hell, how can you find anything in there? I couldnt find one inch of bench space available. Clean that thing!

friends garages, i get on his ass about it constantly, i can never find anything i need. i had to prepare all the tools before we started this video. my shop is clean, try being a little nicer though. :busted:

-mechanic from the video, dylan rush

friends garages, i get on his ass about it constantly, i can never find anything i need. i had to prepare all the tools before we started this video. my shop is clean, try being a little nicer though. :busted:

-mechanic from the video, dylan rush

Im not saying anything about your work. Its just the garage!

You should put something over that bushing groove or you could ruin the seals! Clear packing tape works great, and if you put another wrap higher up so that half the tape is off the top, you can pinch it together and make a taper.

I've done it with electrical tape before, too. I'd imagine duct tape would work if that's what you have. Or I've heard of people using plastic bags... Or you could just buy a seal bullet tool, the point is if you just put them on over that sharp seal edge, you can cut them and ruin them.

Using pliers like that to take the cap off is a great way to make it look like ass in no time, but if that's all you have, a few wraps of tape, or a rag can help keep the pliers from chewing up the cap.

Other than that, it was a pretty good video.

You should put something over that bushing groove or you could ruin the seals! Clear packing tape works great, and if you put another wrap higher up so that half the tape is off the top, you can pinch it together and make a taper.

I've done it with electrical tape before, too. I'd imagine duct tape would work if that's what you have. Or I've heard of people using plastic bags... Or you could just buy a seal bullet tool, the point is if you just put them on over that sharp seal edge, you can cut them and ruin them.

Using pliers like that to take the cap off is a great way to make it look like ass in no time, but if that's all you have, a few wraps of tape, or a rag can help keep the pliers from chewing up the cap.

dont know why but no shop around me will sell the cap wrench. ive tried like crazy. ill just have to order one sometime soon. i do hate how it makes them look ugly but ohwell. gotta do what you gotta do, that electrical tape idea wasnt bad actually. i just cant get the damn stuff to stick to the tube no matter how much i wipe it

I agree,i like to use wax paper.You can get the seal started on the wax paper than slide the paper and seal on at the same time.

I agree,i like to use wax paper.You can get the seal started on the wax paper than slide the paper and seal on at the same time.

That's actually a really good idea! I'll have to remember that one for next time!:busted: Now I just need some wax paper in the shop though...

That's actually a really good idea! I'll have to remember that one for next time!:busted: Now I just need some wax paper in the shop though...

Do what i do and steal some from the wife.