Sign in to follow this  

trying to rip your thumbs off

am I the only one who 2 or 3 times a year (usually after it quits hurting from the last time) gets his thumbs wrenched back on the bars in a fall?

how do they describe the damage in this injury, I've never gone to the doc, usually just tough it out. will I be able to wipe my ass when I'm 80?

I've hurt both of mine, one last year and it still bothers me. The other one about 4 months ago and it causes me problems all the time. Opening a camelbak bladder kicks my ass, seriously. Just something in that motion almost brings tears to my eyes.

I have had that happen to me a time or two this year, but have been fortunate enough that it only hurt for a short while. I have not done it bad enough to cause an injury.

I had a bad crash that resulted in a plated collarbone, also a really sore thumb......8 months later the only thing that bothers me is the thumb :busted:

A PA friend told me it was "skiers thumb." something to the effect that the ski poles get stuck in the snow while skiing and almost rips your thumb off....he said very painfull.

For me it is very easy to re-aggravate it in a small tip over.

Once you have tweaked your thumb back, it is very painful for a long time.

I sprained my thumb very badly a few years ago and stretched the tendons out. The only thing that helped me over time was doing exercises with my thumb to strengthen the muscles/tendons back. I have never had a problem since.

The exercises I did where to build strength back in the thumb muscles.

I tied a small weight plate (1/2 lb-1lb) to a price of rope, then tied a loop on the other end.

Put the loop around your thumb and then you can do thumb raises, have your hand out flat, weight off the ground and you can raise your thumb towards the sky in 3 different motions.

Motion one is thumb straight up and the second is thumb towards the bottom side (palm side) of your knuckles. The third motion is do circles with your thumb with the weight attached.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

thanks I was using rubber bands but will try weights! off topic but I've ridden Raines grade many times and have been to your dads shop (if this is the same Raines) you were probably ripping around the yard on mini bike back then though, LOL.

What a small world! Yes I am the same person that the "Raines grade" is named after up in tahuya. The reason it is named that is because it was the trail I used to ride up to from our house (where the auto repair is at) and get on the tahuya trail system.

Where my dads auto repair is at is where I grew up riding and we still have a great track there, I have a MX as well as a woods loop. I was just home in Belfair for about a month. Try to go home a few times a year, but live in south Carolina the majority of the time.

Hope your thumbs get better and awesome to hear from a fellow Washingtonian! Hope to see you on the trail in the future!

All the best,

Jason