Sign in to follow this  

Stuck Swing Arm Bolt

Uh Oh my swing arm bolt on my 93 cr250 is not budging!

I put penetrating oil in both sides and let it soak in over night.

I then proceeded to wacking it, dinged up and mushroomed one side(as expected) then i broke my socket extension that i had used to hit it with. Even when hitting it with a sledge hammer it wouldn't budge.... then i broke the bolt...Now i've got nothing to hit. I'm about to start drilling things... any suggestions.

Loosen all the engine mounting bolts, then using a propane torch, heat the swingarm bolt by passing the flame down through the bolt (if it is a hollow bolt). Once it is good and hot, try the hammer again.

Well double torched it and pb blasted it... Nothing. Tomorrow I'm going to sawzall the shit out of it. Wish me luck...

If it is hollow, make a puller with tube, thick washers and a long bolt that will go thru the swingarm bolt. Spray the bolt down and tighten the puller bolt with an impact gun to pull the swingarm bolt out.

Sorry, just make one just like in the other thread :busted:

I run into this a lot with vintage bikes. The best tool for this is an air hammer with a blunt tip.

001-1.jpg

I said screw it after I attempted to drill mine out and breaking off a steel bit. I took it to a machine shop and they had it out in 15 minutes for $20.

Then I bought this for the possibility of it happening again.

SwingArmBuddy.jpg

I said screw it after I attempted to drill mine out and breaking off a steel bit. I took it to a machine shop and they had it out in 15 minutes for $20.

SwingArmBuddy.jpg

how did they do it?!

SwingArmBuddy.jpg

Why not just re-install with waterproof grease and service it every 6 mos. with same?

SwingArmBuddy.jpg

That kit is for repairing the adjuster bolt for the chain. I believe the OP is having problems with the shaft that holds the swing arm to the frame. Got the same problem with my '87 CR500.

cut it out with an angle grinder and now i can't get it out of the frame! :busted:

See my post on page 1 for the solution.

Why not just re-install with waterproof grease and service it every 6 mos. with same?

I do that now, but what if I get a different clapped out 2 stroke to rebuild, huh? I think about the long term...:busted:

I do that now, but what if I get a different clapped out 2 stroke to rebuild, huh? I think about the long term...:bonk:

That's not the way TT works. :busted:

You must submit a new thread each and every time something "new" happens to you. No pre-planning. New threads only! :lol: Just look at all the new threads discussing proper FWW ounce selection, Gnarly vs. whatever, rekluse or not, best silencer, best oil and mix ratio, energy conserving oils and clutch life, etc! :busted:

That kit is for repairing the adjuster bolt for the chain. I believe the OP is having problems with the shaft that holds the swing arm to the frame. Got the same problem with my '87 CR500.

Gotchya...I read it wrong.

• Like 1