Sign in to follow this  

Just picked up a 97 WR250 and have a couple of questions

As the title says, I just picked up a 97 WR250 (CALI PLATED!!!!) and have a couple of questions:

First, jetting. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about tuning (by his own admission), and "tried" to tune it for riding in Montana. I know it needs to have the carb cleaned, but can anyone let me know what jetting they are using for riding in the so-cal desert? Bike is stock (though a fresh rebuild, with receipts) except for an FMF "Fatty" pipe and Turbine Core S/A

Second, Plastics. It's kinda rough. So far, I have fenders coming, along with an LED tail light and flush mount turn signals, but have only been able to find some fairly pricey (for condition) used side panels and shrouds on flea bay. Is there another source?

Third, Plastics Swap. On my (also Cali plated) WR426, one of the best mods to do was swap to a YZ tank and seat. Even going with an oversize IMS or Clarke tank, the handling was SO much better because you could move around on the bike better. Can you swap the 97-01 YZ250 tank and shrouds onto the WRs? How about the side panels (if you use the YZ air box)? Kinda looks like that's what they did for the non-US spec '98 models...

Would appreciate any and all responses!

Thanks

as far as jetting goes jet it for half race gas and half fresh pump or its gonna ping alot.

as far as fitting a yz tank im not sure if it will will work but very curious as why you would do that , put up a pic and congrats on the dub 250

I have a 94' WR250. Same bike as yours, the WR's didnt get the body change in 96 that the YZ's did. Run a 93-95 YZ seat and tank on mine. You have to swap both, cant run the WR seat with the YZ tank. Its a bolt on deal, no modification neede. I also bought a 93-95 YZ desert tank for the long runs, stock WR tank is no good after running the YZ setup.

As for airbox, i bought a newer subframe to see if it could be done, didnt even come close to lining up. You can buy UFO plastic for this bike still. I have new shrouds and side panels on mine.

as far as jetting goes jet it for half race gas and half fresh pump or its gonna ping alot.
Understood...though kinda disappointing. I plan on doing a lot of Dual Sport riding on this bad boy, so needing race gas is not a good thing...are there any mods that can be done to at least minimize the death rattle? Also, the original question...what size brass works best? Or at least what was stock and I can work from there...
as far as fitting a yz tank im not sure if it will will work but very curious as why you would do that , put up a pic and congrats on the dub 250
On the 426, the YZ set up was sevral inches narrower at the aft nd, and a whole lot better shaped for sliding up the seat to weight the front wheel. At least from the pics I have seen, it looks like the same holds true for the 250 two-strokes.

I have a 94' WR250. Same bike as yours, the WR's didnt get the body change in 96 that the YZ's did. Run a 93-95 YZ seat and tank on mine. You have to swap both, cant run the WR seat with the YZ tank. Its a bolt on deal, no modification neede. I also bought a 93-95 YZ desert tank for the long runs, stock WR tank is no good after running the YZ setup.

As for airbox, i bought a newer subframe to see if it could be done, didnt even come close to lining up. You can buy UFO plastic for this bike still. I have new shrouds and side panels on mine.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered side panels and radiator shrouds from UFO.

the pinging only shows up under a hard load like sand or deep loam so dualsporting it should be ok i run 40 to 1 w/yamalube or 50 to 1 with belray h1r as far as brass i run stock 390 main and 40 pilot 2 turns on the air screw but im at 7300 feet 1 and a half is stock which will work for you in cali, the 2 places mine pinged was in red rock or jawbone in mojave or cal city in the sand but gorman and kern county it ran good no pinging , it pings a little under a load in phoenix in summer but not bad not sure excatley causes pinging in those year yz and wrs (the 94 cylinder combo) but youll enjoy the bike , i run the stock tank and seat it closely resembles my kx 500 with a ims tank on it, i can only go 52 miles at race pace but i can go all day on the stock tank on the dub103_0510.jpg004.jpg